Chain Dynamics: Solving for Maximum Length

• Thread starter tokkii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain
In summary: If ##m## is constant. Is it constant?If mm is constant. Is it constant?In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a chain of mass m0 per unit length, which is loosely coiled on the floor. If one end is subjected to a constant force P, the student determines the following: (a) the maximum value of chain length ymax, (b) the velocity of the chain as a function of y while 0 ≤ y ≤ ymax, (c) the acceleration of the chain as a function of y while 0 ≤ y ≤ ymax, (d) the
tokkii
Hey good people, I am new here and i found that you help people, i hope you can help me with this
ive been triyng to solve this for a while but with no luck

1. Homework Statement

A chain of mass m0 per unit length is loosely coiled on the floor. If one of the end is subjected to a constant force P, when y = 0 , determine followings when P = 10N and m0 = 0.2kg / m

(a) Determine the maximum value of chain length ymax
(b) Determine the velocity of the chain as a function of y while 0 ≤ y ≤ ymax .
(c) Determine the acceleration of the chain as a function of y while 0 ≤ y ≤ ymax .
(d) Plot velocity and acceleration of hook chain as a function as a function y in all the cases using MATLAB while 0 ≤ y ≤ ymax .

Im only interested in Part (a) .. i can do the rest by myself.

2. Homework Equations

P=mv, p=momentum , m=mass , v= velocity
u=m/y, u=linear density , m=mass , y= length

The Attempt at a Solution

i started with the momentum equation i derive it using the chain rule ... i worked it out i end up with deferential equation
F=2*u*dy*(d^2y/dt^2)

now I am stuck at this point, I am not sure if it correct or not ... is it possible to solve it without using deferential equation ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the velocity of the chain at ##y_\text{max}##? Why?

What is the total energy of the chain? Can you relate that with ##P##?

voko said:
What is the velocity of the chain at ##y_\text{max}##? Why?
Vf=Vi+at since Vi=0 >>> Vf=at ? or v=ds/dt

voko said:
What is the total energy of the chain? Can you relate that with ##P##?

KEi + PEi + Wext = KEf + PEf
initially it was at rest v=0 and hight was 0 that gives us
Wext = KEf + PEf => W = 0.5mv^2+mghi don't have enough knowns to use this ...

What does ##y## mean in #1? And what is ##y_\text{max}##? Why does it have the "max" label?

And what is this ##h## that you used in #3?

voko said:
What does yy mean in #1? And what is ymaxy_\text{max}? Why does it have the "max" label?

in this case y is the length, the question stated that initially it was at elevation of 0 so length will be 0, y max is the maximum length the chain will reach up the ground ... here is where my confusion start, I am not sure if the chain will stop going up at any point, so from this i concluded the answer will be an equation with respect to time

voko said:
And what is this hh that you used in #3?
h is the length

tokkii said:
in this case y is the length, the question stated that initially it was at elevation of 0 so length will be 0, y max is the maximum length the chain will reach up the ground ...

So, is this "length" really the "height"?

What is the velocity of the chain when it reaches the max height?

tokkii said:
h is the length

So is it the same as ##y##?

voko said:
So, is this "length" really the "height"?

What is the velocity of the chain when it reaches the max height?

the height of a point at the tip of the chain off the ground is the length of the chain,
the force is constant velocity will keep increasing

voko said:
So is it the same as yy?

yes

tokkii said:
the force is constant velocity will keep increasing

If the velocity is increasing, how can there be a maximum height?

voko said:
If the velocity is increasing, how can there be a maximum height?

i asked myself the same thing, but that's what the question asks .. it beats me really

So perhaps the velocity is not always increasing? What makes you think it must be ever increasing in the first place?

voko said:
So perhaps the velocity is not always increasing? What makes you think it must be ever increasing in the first place?

Since F=ma , if the force is constant and it is as stated in the problem, then there is constant acceleration and therefore changing velocity according to a=dv/dt

tokkii said:
Since F=ma , if the force is constant and it is as stated in the problem, then there is constant acceleration

If ##m## is constant. Is it constant?

voko said:
If mm is constant. Is it constant?

hmmm ... no, m increase as length increase

Related to Chain Dynamics: Solving for Maximum Length

What is "Chain being pulled up"?

"Chain being pulled up" is a scientific concept that describes the process of a chain being lifted or raised from a lower position to a higher one.

How does the chain being pulled up work?

The chain being pulled up works by applying a force, such as pulling or lifting, to one end of the chain. This force is transmitted through the links of the chain, causing them to move and lift the rest of the chain.

What are the factors that affect the chain being pulled up?

The factors that affect the chain being pulled up include the weight of the chain, the length of the chain, the type of material the chain is made of, and the force applied to lift the chain. Other factors may include friction and the angle at which the chain is being pulled.

What are some real-life applications of the chain being pulled up?

The chain being pulled up has many real-life applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and pulley systems. It is also used in transportation, construction, and lifting heavy objects.

What are the differences between the chain being pulled up and the chain being pulled down?

While the chain being pulled up is a process of lifting a chain from a lower position to a higher one, the chain being pulled down is the opposite process, where the chain is lowered from a higher position to a lower one. The force applied and the movement of the chain may also differ between the two processes.