Chain rule for 2nd derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the 2nd derivative chain rule and how it differs for single- and multivariable functions. The formula and application for both cases are explained using the product rule and the chain rule. The conversation ends with a thank you for the explanation.
quietrain
hi does anyone know why the 2nd derivative chain rule is as such?

a1c3a6d5dafe24a2f4c2d423a8e87fdb.png

i roughly know that

if u = f(x,y) and x=rcos(T) , y = rsin(T)

then

du/dr = df/dx * dx/dr + df/dy * dy/dr

but if i am going to have a second d/dr, then how does it work out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you're mixing up the chain rule for single- and multivariable functions. For the single variable case,

[tex]
(f \circ g)'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x)
[/tex]

Using the product rule, we then have

[tex]
(f \circ g)''(x) = \frac{d}{dx}[f'(g(x))g'(x)] = f''(g(x)) g'(x) g'(x) + f'(g(x))g''(x) = f''(g(x))[g'(x)]^2 + f'(g(x))g''(x)
[/tex]

or in Leibniz notation,

[tex]
\frac{d^2 f}{dx^2}(g(x)) \left[\frac{dg}{dx}\right]^2 + \frac{df}{dx}(g(x)) \frac{d^2 g}{dx^2}
[/tex]

For a two-variable function things are more complicated. Suppose we have a function f(x,y) where x and y are themselves functions x(r,t) and y(r,t). As you stated,

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial r}
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial r^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}\right] + \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial r}\right]
[/tex]

To make things simpler, let's just look at that first term for the moment. The tricky part is that [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} [/itex] is still a function of x and y, so we need to use the chain rule again. Using the chain rule,

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right] = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{\partial y}{\partial r}
[/tex]

So

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}\right] = \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right]\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial r^2} = \left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{\partial y}{\partial r}\right)\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial r^2}
[/tex]

I'm feeling a bit too lazy at the moment to write out the whole thing for [itex] \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial r^2} [/itex]. (So many \frac's and \partial's...). Hopefully what I've written so far will help you enough and hopefully I didn't make any mistakes!

ah i see... thank you very much

Related to Chain rule for 2nd derivatives

1. What is the chain rule for 2nd derivatives?

The chain rule for 2nd derivatives is a mathematical method used to find the second derivative of a composite function, where the input of the function is itself a function. It is a way to calculate how the rate of change of the output of a function changes with respect to the input.

2. How is the chain rule for 2nd derivatives applied?

To apply the chain rule for 2nd derivatives, you first take the derivative of the outer function, then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, you take the second derivative of the inner function and multiply it by the square of the derivative of the outer function. This process can be repeated for higher order derivatives.

3. Why is the chain rule for 2nd derivatives important?

The chain rule for 2nd derivatives is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function within a more complex system. It is essential in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where functions are often composed of multiple variables and equations.

4. Can the chain rule for 2nd derivatives be used for any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule for 2nd derivatives can be applied to any type of function, as long as it is a composite function. This means that the input of the function is itself a function. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is applicable to a wide range of fields.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule for 2nd derivatives?

One common mistake when using the chain rule for 2nd derivatives is forgetting to take the second derivative of the inner function and multiplying it by the square of the derivative of the outer function. It is important to follow the correct steps and pay attention to the order of operations to avoid errors.