Chain Rule For Function of Severable Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses an application of the chain rule in finding the rate of change between two objects traveling in elliptical paths. The distance between the objects is represented by a parametric equation and the partial derivatives are used to find the rate of change when t = pi. The conversation also touches on the use of grouping symbols and the concept of taking derivatives when using the chain rule. The conversation ends with a mention of using LaTeX for formatting equations.
jjstuart79

Homework Statement

I'm trying to follow my textbook on an application of the chain rule.

Two objects are traveling in elliptical paths given by the following parametric equation.

x1 = 4 cos t
x2 = 2 sin 2t
y1 = 2 sin t
y2 = 3 cos 2t

At what rate is the distance between the two objects changing when t = pi?

Homework Equations

distance S = √(x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2

The Attempt at a Solution

When t = pi
x1 = -4
y1 = 0
x2 = 0
y2 = 3

When t = pi the partial derivatives of s are as follows.

∂s/∂x1 = -(x2 - x1)/√(x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2 = -1/5(0 + 4) = -4/5

How come we're all of a sudden dividing -(x2 - x1) by S? I guess I'm not grasping the concept of the partial derivative of S with respect to x1 when x1 is an equation either. Would someone be able to elaborate on that? If you need me to explain more, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jjstuart79 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to follow my textbook on an application of the chain rule.

Two objects are traveling in elliptical paths given by the following parametric equation.

x1 = 4 cos t
x2 = 2 sin 2t
y1 = 2 sin t
y2 = 3 cos 2t

At what rate is the distance between the two objects changing when t = pi?

Homework Equations

distance S = √((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2)

The Attempt at a Solution

When t = pi
x1 = -4
y1 = 0
x2 = 0
y2 = 3

When t = pi the partial derivatives of s are as follows.

∂s/∂x1 = -(x2 - x1)/√((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2) = -1/5(0 + 4) = -4/5

How come we're all of a sudden dividing -(x2 - x1) by S? I guess I'm not grasping the concept of the partial derivative of S with respect to x1 when x1 is an equation either. Would someone be able to elaborate on that? If you need me to explain more, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.
You need another set of grouping symbols.

Is this your solution or one that you copied?

It seems, by your question, that you don't know what's involved with taking the derivative.

That is the solution I copied from the text. I'm teaching myself this, so sometimes it helps to have someone be able to elaborate on the why part of what the text is showing.

To me I would think that since I'm taking the derivative with respect to x1, I take the derivative of x1 which is -4 sine t. So it would look like this?

-(2 sin 2t - -4 sine t)/√(2 sin 2t - -4 sine t)^2 + (3 cos 2t - 2 sin t)^2)

I still don't know why I have to divide -(x2 - x1) by S when taking the derivative?

Last edited:
ok so you have two sets of parametric eqns all a function of t and you want the rate of change when t=pi

dist = (x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2

plug in your parametrics for the x1 ,x2, y1 and y2 and then differentiate with respect to t

the chain rule comes in when start to differentiate the terms with respect to t:

( x1 - x2 ) ^ 2 ==> ( 4 cos(t) - 2 sin(2t) ) ^ 2

differentiating to get: 2 ( 4 cos(t) - 2 sin(2t) ) ( - 4 sin(t) - 4 cos(2t) ) for the first term

and: ( 2 sin(t) - 3 cos(2t) ) ^ 2

differentiating to get: 2 ( 2 sin(t) - 3 cos(2t) ) ( 2 cos(t) + 6 sin(2t) ) for the second term

next we can plug in t=pi to get:

sin(t) = 0
sin(2t) = 0
cos(t) = -1
cos(2t) = 1

plugging these values in:

2 (-4)(-4) + 2(-3)(-2) = 2 * 16 + 2 * 6 = 44

does that look right?

Last edited:
jjstuart79 said:
That is the solution I copied from the text. I'm teaching myself this, so sometimes it helps to have someone be able to elaborate on the why part of what the text is showing.

To me I would think that since I'm taking the derivative with respect to x1, I take the derivative of x1 which is -4 sine t. So it would look like this?

-(2 sin 2t - -4 sine t)/√(2 sin 2t - -4 sine t)^2 + (3 cos 2t - 2 sin t)^2)

I still don't know why I have to divide -(x2 - x1) by S when taking the derivative?

What you have with [itex]\displaystyle -\frac{2 \sin(2t) - -4 sin(t)}{\sqrt{2 \sin (2t) - -4 \sin (t))^2 + (3 \cos (2t) - 2 \sin (t))^2}}[/itex] looks like an attempt to take the derivative of S with respect to t, although it's incorrect.

Let's look at a simpler example:
Suppose that [itex]T(x,y) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]

Then [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]

Much like [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d }{dx}\sqrt{x^2+25}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+25}}[/itex]
It's just using the chain rule along with the derivative of the square root function.

Thanks for the help. It makes more sense to me now. I was getting confused because I was applying the chain rule and not simplifying enough, I think. For instance using your example.

d/dx = √(x^2 + 25) = (x^2 + 25)^1/2 = 1/2(x^2 + 25)^-1/2 * (2x) = x(x^2 + 25)^-1/2 =

x/(x^2 + 25)^1/2

btw, how are you embedding your equations in the posts? The format is really nice.

Last edited:
jjstuart79 said:
Thanks for the help. It makes more sense to me now. I was getting confused because I was applying the chain rule and not simplifying enough, I think. For instance using your example.

d/dx = √(x^2 + 25) = (x^2 + 25)^1/2 = 1/2(x^2 + 25)^-1/2 * (2x) = x(x^2 + 25)^-1/2 =

x/(x^2 + 25)^1/2

btw, how are you embedding your equations in the posts? The format is really nice.
I'm using Latex.

Use the Ʃ Icon just above the "Advanced" messaging window.

It takes a bit of getting used to.

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Related to Chain Rule For Function of Severable Variables

1. What is the Chain Rule for Functions of Several Variables?

The Chain Rule for Functions of Several Variables is a mathematical rule that allows us to calculate the derivative of a composite function, where the input is a function of multiple variables. It is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is the Chain Rule applied in Calculus?

In calculus, the Chain Rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function. This means that if we have a function that is composed of multiple functions, we can use the Chain Rule to find the derivative of the overall function by breaking it down into smaller parts.

3. What is the formula for the Chain Rule?

The formula for the Chain Rule is: (f ◦ g)'(x) = f '(g(x)) · g'(x), where f and g are functions and f' and g' are the derivatives of those functions.

4. Why is the Chain Rule important in mathematics and science?

The Chain Rule is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to calculate the derivative of complex functions, which are often used to model real-world phenomena. It is also a fundamental concept in higher-level mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

5. What are some common applications of the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule has many applications, including optimization problems, curve sketching, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields such as physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to find marginal cost and revenue, and in engineering to determine rates of change in systems with multiple variables.