Challenging Trigonometric Inequality: Can You Prove It?

In summary, the given problem is to prove that for $0<\alpha, \beta<\dfrac{\pi}{2}$, the expression $\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{\sin^2\alpha\sin^2\beta\cos^2\beta}$ is greater than or equal to 9. After discussing different approaches, it is concluded that the correct value for $\beta$ is $\dfrac{\pi}{4}$ and the solution has already been provided by a user named opalg on a math forum.
Albert1
$0<\alpha, \beta<\dfrac {\pi}{2}$

prove :$\dfrac {1}{cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac {1}{sin^2\alpha\,sin^2\beta\, cos^2\beta}\geq 9$

and corresponding $\alpha$, and $\beta$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Albert said:

prove :$\dfrac {1}{cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac {1}{sin^2\alpha\,sin^2\beta\, cos^2\beta}\geq 9$

$\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{\sin^2\alpha\sin^2\beta\cos^2\beta}$
= $\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{4}{4\sin^2\alpha\sin^2\beta\cos^2\beta}$
= $\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{4\sin^2\alpha\sin^2 2 \beta}$
as $\alpha\, and,\beta$

are independedent we can take $\beta$ to be $\frac{\pi}{2}$

and we need to maximize $\sec^2 \alpha + 4 \csc^2 \alpha$
which is same as $\tan ^2 \alpha + 4 \cot^2 \alpha + 5 $
or $(\tan \alpha - 2 \cot\alpha)^2 + 9 $
which is $\ge 9 $

when $\alpha = \arctan \sqrt{2}$

Albert said:

My solution (kaliprasad beats me to it but I decided to go ahead and post my solution because we approached it differently and mine is less elegant, I think:eek:):

If we let $x=\sin^2 \alpha$, then $\cos^2 \alpha=1-x$ and similarly if we have $y=\sin^2 \beta$, then $\cos^2 \beta=1-y$

Note that since $0<\alpha, \beta<\dfrac {\pi}{2}$, this gives $0< x,\,y < 1$.

The given LHS of the inequality hence becomes

$\dfrac{1}{1-x}+\dfrac{1}{xy(1-y)}$

and bear in mind that we're now looking for its minimum value. We can rewrite it so that we have

$\begin{align*}\dfrac{1}{1-x}+\dfrac{1}{xy(1-y)}&=\dfrac{1}{1-x}-\dfrac{1}{xy(y-1)}\\&=\dfrac{1}{1-x}-\dfrac{1}{x((y-\dfrac{1}{2})^2-\dfrac{1}{4})}\\&\ge \dfrac{1}{1-x}+\dfrac{4}{x} \,\,\,\text{when $y=\dfrac{1}{2}$}\\&\ge\dfrac{3x-4}{x^2-x}\end{align*}$

The minimum of $\dfrac{3x-4}{x^2-x}$ can be found using the calculus method and this is obtained when $x=\dfrac{2}{3}$ where $\dfrac{3x-4}{x^2-x}=9$

Hence, $\dfrac {1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac {1}{\sin^2\alpha\,\sin^2\beta\, \cos^2\beta}\geq 9$ and equality is attained when $\sin^2 \alpha=\dfrac{2}{3}$ and $\sin^2 \beta=\dfrac{1}{2}$

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
$\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{\sin^2\alpha\sin^2\beta\cos^2\beta}$
= $\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{4}{4\sin^2\alpha\sin^2\beta\cos^2\beta}$
= $\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{4\sin^2\alpha\sin^2 2 \beta}---(1)$
as $\alpha\, and,\beta$
are independedent we can take $\beta$ to be $\frac{\pi}{2}$
and we need to maximize $\sec^2 \alpha + 4 \csc^2 \alpha$
which is same as $\tan ^2 \alpha + 4 \cot^2 \alpha + 5 $
or $(\tan \alpha - 2 \cot\alpha)^2 + 9 $
which is $\ge 9 $

when $\alpha = \arctan \sqrt{2}$
$\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{4\sin^2\alpha\sin^2 2 \beta}---(1)$
you take $\beta$ to be $\frac{\pi}{2}$
then from (1) $sin 2\beta =0$
the denominator of the second term in (1) will be 0

I think you should take $\beta$ to be $\frac{\pi}{4}$

Last edited:
Albert said:
$\dfrac{1}{\cos^2\alpha}+\dfrac{1}{4\sin^2\alpha\sin^2 2 \beta}---(1)$
you take $\beta$ to be $\frac{\pi}{2}$
then from (1) $sin 2\beta =0$
the denominator of the second term in (1) will be 0

I think you should take $\beta$ to be $\frac{\pi}{4}$

yes you are right. it was my inadvertent error. Thanks for correcting

opalg has beaten me by months
http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/trigonometric-inequality-9277.html

FAQ: Challenging Trigonometric Inequality: Can You Prove It?

What is a trigonometric inequality?

A trigonometric inequality is an inequality that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These inequalities are used to express relationships between the sides and angles of a triangle.

How do you solve a trigonometric inequality?

To solve a trigonometric inequality, you must use the properties and rules of trigonometric functions to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality. You may also need to use identities or substitution to simplify the inequality before solving.

What is the domain of a trigonometric inequality?

The domain of a trigonometric inequality is the set of all possible values for the variable that make the inequality true. For example, in the inequality sin(x) > 0, the domain would be all values of x between 0 and 180 degrees, including 0 and 180.

What are the common types of trigonometric inequalities?

The most common types of trigonometric inequalities are those involving sine, cosine, and tangent functions. These include inequalities such as sin(x) < cos(x), tan(x) > 1, and cos(x) > 0. There are also more complex inequalities involving multiple trigonometric functions.

Why are trigonometric inequalities important?

Trigonometric inequalities are important because they are used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They also help us to understand and solve problems involving triangles and angles, and they are fundamental to the study of trigonometry.