Champ's question at Yahoo Answers (Power series)

In summary, the power series for y = e^x^2 about x = 0(Manipulate common Maclaurin series for e^x) is a solution to the differential equation y' - 2xy = 0.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find a power series for y = e^x^2 about x = 0(Manipulate common Maclaurin series for e^x). Use this power series to show that y = e^x^2 is a solution to the differential equation y' - 2xy = 0.
Please help and show your steps. I've been trying to solve it for hours!

Here is a link to the question:

Find a power series... Calc Help? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Champ,

From $e^x=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}$ forall $x\in\mathbb{R}$ we immediately get $y=e^{x^2}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}$ for all $x\in\mathbb{R}$. Now, using the derivation term by term:

$$\begin{aligned}y'-2xy&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-2x\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n+1}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}\\&=0\end{aligned}$$

If you have further questions you can post them in the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ section.http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/

Fernando Revilla said:
Hello Champ,

From $e^x=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}$ forall $x\in\mathbb{R}$ we immediately get $y=e^{x^2}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}$ for all $x\in\mathbb{R}$. Now, using the derivation term by term:

$$\begin{aligned}y'-2xy&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-2x\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n+1}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}\\&=0\end{aligned}$$

If you have further questions you can post them in the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/ section.http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/

Thanks, I got most of that but the part I was stuck on was how to derive n!. It appears that you when you derived it, n! remained unchanged. It this true?

calcboi said:
Thanks, I got most of that but the part I was stuck on was how to derive n!. It appears that you when you derived it, n! remained unchanged. It this true?

Yes, it is true. Take into account that $1/n!$ is a constant.

Thanks, I see how that works if its a constant. Anyways, I have a question on which test to use for series n=1 to infinity for (-1)^n / (n^3)-ln(n) in order to determine convergence/divergence. I am pretty sure I determined it converges through the Alternating Series Test but I am not sure whether it is conditional or absolute. I tried the Direct Comparison Test but it was inconclusive, and I am stuck now on what to do. Can you please help?

calcboi said:
Thanks, I see how that works if its a constant. Anyways, I have a question on which test to use for series n=1 to infinity for (-1)^n / (n^3)-ln(n) in order to determine convergence/divergence. I am pretty sure I determined it converges through the Alternating Series Test but I am not sure whether it is conditional or absolute. I tried the Direct Comparison Test but it was inconclusive, and I am stuck now on what to do. Can you please help?

No problem calcboi we'll help you. But please, ask this question in the Calculus forum, according to rule #8 of MHB. Thank you.

Oops, sorry. I will ask the question in the Calc thread.

Related to Champ's question at Yahoo Answers (Power series)

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a series of the form ∑n=0cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants, a is a fixed value, and x is a variable. It is a type of infinite series in which each term is a polynomial function of x.

2. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a power series expansion of a function around a specific point, while a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the point of expansion is 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series with a=0.

3. How do you find the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence can be found by applying the Ratio Test to the series. The ratio of consecutive terms must approach a finite limit, and the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of this limit.

4. What is the purpose of a power series in mathematics?

Power series are used to approximate functions that cannot be expressed in closed form. They are also used to study the properties of functions and to solve differential equations. They have important applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

5. How can power series be used to evaluate definite integrals?

By using the definition of a power series, we can integrate a power series term by term to obtain a new power series. This new series can be evaluated at the limits of integration to give an approximation of the definite integral. This method is known as the method of power series integration.