Change in entropy of a capacitor

In summary: The entropy change in the first process is zero, as there is no change in temperature or volume. In the second process, the entropy change is equal to the heat transferred divided by the constant temperature, as the process is reversible. The heat transferred is equal to the change in energy stored in the capacitor, which is equal to half of the initial energy stored in the capacitor. Therefore, the entropy change in the universe is equal to half of the initial energy stored in the capacitor divided by the temperature.
alexiaphysics

Homework Statement

What is the entropy change of the universe as a result of the following processes:

(a) a 1μF capacitor is connected to a 100V electrochemical cell at 0°C,

(b) the same capacitor after being charged to 100V is discharged through a resistor kept at 0°C?

Homework Equations

dS = δQ/T (for reversible processes)
dS > δQ/T (for irreversible processes)

Capacitor energy = ½*C*V^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The main thing I'm stuck on is what exactly is happening at (a). I'm not quite sure where the entropy change could come from, or what could cause it. It seems to me that there isn't enough information - are they asking for the entropy change at the instant the capacitor is connected, in which case there's been no current flow, and so has anything actually happened? Are we meant to consider the work done in physically connecting the capacitor? (I would doubt so.) If it is at the instant when they are connected, before any current has flowed, then either nothing has happened, or it's fully reversible (both of which would give ΔS = 0), or we have no idea what the entropy change is because it's to do with the work done getting it there.

As for (b), if we say the capacitor energy is equal to the heat, then ΔS =(C*V^2)/(2*T) = 1.83x10^(-5), but I'm not sure if this is for just the capacitor or if this is the change in entropy of the universe? I'm not sure exactly what angle to approach this from, but that's my main guess at how I'd go forward, but it might be wrong.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on part (a) of the question - if I've missed anything especially, and also maybe some hints on how to proceed on part (b) (and if I'm going in the right direction or not). Can't seem to find examples of similar questions online either! (If you know of any, please link me!)

Thanks!

For part (b) the energy change through the resistor as your capacitor reduced its voltage from ##V## to ##V-dV## is:

$$ dQ_{rev} = \frac{1}{2}CV^2 - \frac{1}{2}C(V-dV)^2 $$
$$ dQ_{rev} = \frac{1}{2}CV^2 - \frac{1}{2}CV^2 - CVdV - \frac{1}{2}(dV)^2$$

To first order in ##dV##:

$$dQ_{rev} = -CVdV$$

Using the second law for a reversible process:

$$\Delta S_{tot} = \int \frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}$$
$$\Delta S_{tot} = \int_{V_0}^{0} \frac{-CVdV}{T} = \frac{C}{2T}(V_0^2)$$

Plug the numbers into evaluate.

alexiaphysics said:

Homework Statement

What is the entropy change of the universe as a result of the following processes:
I think also that there's not enough info to do this numerically. I think you need the heat capacity of the battery CZ at constant charge, then T dS = CZ dT IF the battery emf is not a function of temperature. To get CZ I think you need to know the valence number of the cell and the Faraday constant (96,500 coulombs). Bit rich for me I'm afraid.
(b) the same capacitor after being charged to 100V is discharged through a resistor kept at 0°C?
Since this is happening at constant temperature, total heat trasferred = initial capacitor stored energy and so ΔS = ΔQ/T.

alexiaphysics said:

I assume they are asking for entropy change after the cap voltage has reached 100V. I believe half the energy extracted from the cell ends up stored in the electric field of the capacitor. The other half is dissipated. You won't get it back when you discharge the cap through the resistor.

David Lewis said:
I assume they are asking for entropy change after the cap voltage has reached 100V. I believe half the energy extracted from the cell ends up stored in the electric field of the capacitor. The other half is dissipated. You won't get it back when you discharge the cap through the resistor.
I would agree.

Related to Change in entropy of a capacitor

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In physics, it is often referred to as the amount of energy that is unavailable for work.

2. How does entropy relate to capacitors?

The entropy of a capacitor relates to the amount of energy that is stored in the system and the degree of disorder or randomness in the arrangement of charges within the capacitor.

3. Can the entropy of a capacitor change?

Yes, the entropy of a capacitor can change as the system can gain or lose energy, resulting in a change in the arrangement of charges and therefore a change in the level of disorder or randomness.

4. What factors affect the change in entropy of a capacitor?

The change in entropy of a capacitor is affected by the amount of energy added or removed from the system, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the temperature of the environment.

5. How is the change in entropy of a capacitor calculated?

The change in entropy of a capacitor can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the change in energy, and T is the temperature.