Change in Internal Energy of 1kg Water to Steam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in internal energy when 1 kg of water is converted to steam at a pressure of 1 atm and a temperature of 100 C. The equation dU = dQ - PdV is used, with dQ being equal to the heat of vaporization and PdV being equal to the change in volume. The volume of the water vapor is calculated using the ideal gas law, and it is found that the volume of the water vapor is much larger than the volume of the liquid water. The final volume of the water vapor is used to calculate the change in internal energy.
Lagraaaange

Homework Statement

Hvap = 22.6E5 J/Kg. R=8.315E3 Jkmol^-1K^-1. 1kmol water = 18kg
Keeping in mind that latent heats are enthalpies, what is the change in internal energy when 1kg water is converted to steam at pressure of 1atm and temperature of 100C.

Homework Equations

dU = dQ - PdV.

The Attempt at a Solution

dQ = mHvap
PdV = 1atm (Vfinal - Vinitial) Vfinal >>Vinitial -> PdV = 1atm(Vfinal).
Assume ideal gas-> V = nRT/P =18kilomoles * R*373 / 1atm?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an organized question here, or is it just stream of consciousness which you are writing down?

You have 1 kg of liquid water in a closed container with a piston at 100 C and 1 atm. You add heat until all the water has vaporized to water vapor at 100 C and 1 atm (holding the pressure constant). What is the change in enthalpy ΔH for the water?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You have 1 kg of liquid water in a closed container with a piston at 100 C and 1 atm. You add heat until all the water has vaporized to water vapor at 100 C and 1 atm (holding the pressure constant). What is the change in enthalpy ΔH for the water?

Chet
The H is given as the heat of vaporization which is the change in enthalpy. How do I get internal energy here? I'm uncertain of the final volume.

SteamKing said:
Is there an organized question here, or is it just stream of consciousness which you are writing down?
I have to calculate the change in internal energy of the steam. My main problem is obtaining the final volume of steam.

Lagraaaange said:
The H is given as the heat of vaporization which is the change in enthalpy. How do I get internal energy here? I'm uncertain of the final volume.
What is the definition of ΔH in terms of ΔU and Δ(PV)?

Lvap = H = U + PV => dH = dU + PdV. I just don't see how the given information will allow me to compute this. I feel that I need the density of steam or specific volume. I don't see what I'm missing here. This is actually an old exam problem from another school so I'm just doing it for practice for my exam tomorrow.

Lagraaaange said:
Lvap = H = U + PV => dH = dU + PdV. I just don't see how the given information will allow me to compute this. I feel that I need the density of steam or specific volume. I don't see what I'm missing here. This is actually an old exam problem from another school so I'm just doing it for practice for my exam tomorrow.
From the ideal gas law, what is the volume of 1 kg of water vapor at 1 atm and 100 C?
What is the volume of 1 kg of liquid water at 1 atm and 100 C?

density of water = 1000kg/m^3 => V = 1E-3m^3.
vapor: V = nRT/P. n = 1kg/16kg kilomoles.
Then dU = Lm - P(Vvapor - Vwater)?

Lagraaaange said:
density of water = 1000kg/m^3 => V = 1E-3m^3.
vapor: V = nRT/P. n = 1kg/16kg kilomoles.
Then dU = Lm - P(Vvapor - Vwater)?
Sure. That's right.

Incidentally, I don't understand your answer for the volume of the vapor. It should have units of m^3. I comes out to about 1.67 m^3. Notice that the volume of the liquid water is negligible compared to the volume of the water vapor.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Sure. That's right.

Incidentally, I don't understand your answer for the volume of the vapor. It should have units of m^3. I comes out to about 1.67 m^3. Notice that the volume of the liquid water is negligible compared to the volume of the water vapor.

Chet
I think I didn't make it too clear. I was just specifying what n would be; not volume. Thanks.

Lagraaaange said:
I think I didn't make it too clear. I was just specifying what n would be; not volume. Thanks.
n = 1000gm/18 = 55.6 moles

Related to Change in Internal Energy of 1kg Water to Steam?

What is the definition of change in internal energy?

The change in internal energy is the difference between the initial and final internal energies of a system, and is typically measured in Joules (J).

What factors affect the change in internal energy of water to steam?

The change in internal energy of water to steam is affected by the initial temperature and pressure of the water, as well as the amount of heat added to the system.

How is the change in internal energy of water to steam calculated?

The change in internal energy can be calculated using the equation ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the amount of heat added, and W is the work done by or on the system.

What is the relationship between change in internal energy and change in temperature?

The change in internal energy is directly proportional to the change in temperature. This means that as the temperature of the water increases, the change in internal energy also increases.

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 J/g°C, which means that it takes 4.186 Joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.