Change in length of an electromagnetic wave

In summary, the problem involves calculating the change in length of an electromagnetic wave with a frequency of f = 5MHz going from a location with permittivity e = 2 to vacuum. The suggested approach is to first calculate the length of the wave in vacuum using the formula L1 = c/f, which gives a result of 60 m. Then, using the formula v = 1/sqrt(e*µ), the speed of the wave in the previous location can be calculated. However, it is unclear whether the area is completely unpermeable or if it has a permeability of zero. This leads to uncertainty about the resulting length of the wave in the previous location.
Avathacis

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic wave, which has the frequency of f = 5MHz, goes from an unpermeable location, which has a permittivity of e = 2, to vacuum. Calculate the change in length of the wave.
NOTE: I haven't found greek letters in the post menu, so if they're somewhere in there tell me! I could fix the post then.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay my first approach would be to calculate the length of the wave in vacuum, so: (mainly because it's easier)

L1 = c * T;

T = 1 / f

L1 = c / f

L1 = 3 * 108 / 5 * 106 = 60 m

Then i would calculate the length of the wave in the previous location (the unpermeable one):

L2 = v / f

For electromagnetic waves (if i recall correctly) we can use this formula to calculate their speed:

v = 1 / sqrt e * µ (where e is the permittivity and µ is permeability of the area)

Here's where my guess comes in. I guess that unpermeable areas do not have any permeability? So it would mean:

v = 1 / sqrt e

But then the length of the wave would be insanely small. I know that waves should be short, but the difference should clearly be bigger.

Am i wrong or right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, I still need help :(.

FAQ: Change in length of an electromagnetic wave

What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created by the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. It is a form of radiation that can travel through a vacuum or through different materials, such as air or water.

How does the length of an electromagnetic wave change?

The length of an electromagnetic wave can change through a process called refraction, which occurs when the wave enters a new medium with a different density. This can cause the wave to bend and change direction, resulting in a change in its length.

What factors can affect the change in length of an electromagnetic wave?

The change in length of an electromagnetic wave can be affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as its density and composition. The angle at which the wave enters the medium and the frequency of the wave can also impact its length.

What is the relationship between the length of an electromagnetic wave and its frequency?

The length of an electromagnetic wave is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the length of the wave decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

How does the change in length of an electromagnetic wave impact its properties?

The change in length of an electromagnetic wave can affect its properties, such as its energy and intensity. As the length of the wave changes, its energy and intensity may also change, which can impact how the wave interacts with its surroundings.

Back