Change in Vrms, given initial P and V, find energy added.

In summary, the problem involves an ideal diatomic gas with a specific heat capacity of 5R/2, initially occupying a volume of 2.14 m^3 at a pressure of 1 atm. The gas undergoes a process where pressure is proportional to volume, and at the end of the process, the rms speed of the gas molecules has doubled. The question is asking for the amount of energy transferred to the gas by heat. Through some calculations, it is determined that the equation Q = M^2 * V_rms_initial^2 * 5/2 is relevant, but further clarification is needed on the meaning of pressure being proportional to volume.
MattRob

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal diatomic gas with [itex]C_{v} = \frac{5R}{2}[/itex] occupies a volume [itex]Vi = 2.14 m^{3}[/itex] at a pressure [itex]P_{i}=1 atm[/itex]. The gas undergoes a process in which the pressure is proportional to the volume. At the end of the process, it is found that the rms speed of the gas molecules has doubled from its initial value. Determine the amount of energy transferred to the gas by heat.

Homework Equations

? (If I knew this, I wouldn't be here)

The Attempt at a Solution

With some searching, I found the equations [itex]V_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{3RT}{M}}[/itex] and [itex]Q = MC_{v}\Delta T[/itex]

Where [itex]Q[/itex] is a change in energy, [itex]V_{rms}[/itex] is the average rms velocity, [itex]T[/itex] is temperature, [itex]M[/itex] is Molar Mass, and [itex] \Delta T[/itex] is change in temperature.

With some substitution, we eventually found that we can get;
[itex]Q = M^{2}V_{rms_{initial}}^{2} \frac{5}{2}[/itex]

Which... Doesn't help at all. So, yeah.

The question mentions that the pressure is proportional to the volume, but I'm still a bit confused about PV diagrams, and why everything doesn't stay on Isotherms, so I'm really not sure what it means when it says that pressure is proportional to volume. Does it mean [itex]kP = V[/itex] or [itex]\frac{P}{V} = 1[/itex], or what? So... Yeah.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem solved. Got some unexpected help.

Related to Change in Vrms, given initial P and V, find energy added.

1. How does changing the initial pressure and volume affect the change in Vrms?

The change in Vrms is directly proportional to the initial pressure and inversely proportional to the initial volume. This means that increasing the initial pressure or decreasing the initial volume will result in a larger change in Vrms.

2. What is the formula for calculating the change in Vrms?

The formula for calculating the change in Vrms is ΔVrms = √(3kT/m) * (√(PfVf) - √(PiVi)), where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, m is the mass of the gas, Pf and Vf are the final pressure and volume, and Pi and Vi are the initial pressure and volume.

3. How does temperature affect the change in Vrms?

Temperature has a direct effect on the change in Vrms. As temperature increases, the change in Vrms also increases. This is because temperature is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of the gas molecules, which affects their average speed and hence, the Vrms.

4. Can the change in Vrms be negative?

No, the change in Vrms cannot be negative. Vrms represents the root mean square velocity, which is always a positive value. Therefore, the change in Vrms will always be a positive value, even if the initial pressure and volume are decreased.

5. What are the units of the change in Vrms?

The units of the change in Vrms are meters per second (m/s). This is because Vrms represents the root mean square velocity, which is a measure of the speed of gas molecules. The change in Vrms is a measure of the change in this speed, and hence, has the same units.