Change in water height of a wave pool

In summary, this conversation is about a 2.00 m deep swimming pool that has a wave generator that sends sinusoidal waves across the pool. The equation which gives the water depth, h(x,t), some distance x from the wave generator at any time t is: h(x,t) = 2.00 m + H cos[2π[t/(4.900 s)−x/(0.4000 m)]−5π/4] where H=75.0 cm. The change in water height, with respect to the mean water level, a distance 34.81 m from the wave generator at time t=10.50 s is Δh=0.5 m. The time it takes for
mexqwerty
A 2.00 m deep swimming pool is equipped with a wave generator that sends sinusoidal waves across the pool. The equation which gives the water depth, h(x,t), some distance x from the wave generator at any time t is:
h(x,t) = 2.00 m + H cos[ 2π [ t/(4.900 s) − x/(0.4000 m) ] − 5π/4 ]
where H = 75.0 cm.

a. What is the change in water height, with respect to the mean water level, a distance 34.81 m from the wave generator at time t = 10.50 s.

b. How much time must elapse from the instant in part (a) until the water 34.81 m from the wave generator reaches its next maximum?

For a, have been trying to do the question and I'm using deltah = H cos[ 2π [ t/(4.900 s) − x/(0.4000 m) ] − 5π/4 ] but obviously its wrong because I'm getting the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
mexqwerty said:
A 2.00 m deep swimming pool is equipped with a wave generator that sends sinusoidal waves across the pool. The equation which gives the water depth, h(x,t), some distance x from the wave generator at any time t is:
h(x,t) = 2.00 m + H cos[ 2π [ t/(4.900 s) − x/(0.4000 m) ] − 5π/4 ]
where H = 75.0 cm.

a. What is the change in water height, with respect to the mean water level, a distance 34.81 m from the wave generator at time t = 10.50 s.

b. How much time must elapse from the instant in part (a) until the water 34.81 m from the wave generator reaches its next maximum?

For a, have been trying to do the question and I'm using deltah = H cos[ 2π [ t/(4.900 s) − x/(0.4000 m) ] − 5π/4 ] but obviously its wrong because I'm getting the wrong answer.

You should show details of your actual calculation attempt so that we can see what's going wrong (and it's possible that the "book" answer is incorrect -- it happens sometimes).

Oh, never mind. I was doing the right thing but I didn't know you had to set your calculator to radians. Thanks, anyway.
Hmm, but I still don't know how to do the next bit. Do I have to use the equation again? It doesn't look like I can...

Last edited:
mexqwerty said:
Oh, never mind. I was doing the right thing but I didn't know you had to set your calculator to radians. Thanks, anyway.

Ah. That'll do it, all right.

Cheers.

mexqwerty said:
Hmm, but I still don't know how to do the next bit. Do I have to use the equation again? It doesn't look like I can...
Actually yes, you do use that same equation. What is the value of Δh at a maximum?

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums.

FAQ: Change in water height of a wave pool

1. How does the water height of a wave pool change?

The water height of a wave pool changes due to the movement of the wave generator. The wave generator creates waves by pushing and pulling water, causing the water level to rise and fall. This creates the illusion of waves in the pool.

2. What factors can affect the change in water height of a wave pool?

The main factor that affects the change in water height of a wave pool is the strength and frequency of the wave generator. Other factors that can have an impact include the shape and size of the pool, the depth of the water, and any barriers that may be present in the pool.

3. Is the change in water height of a wave pool constant?

No, the change in water height of a wave pool is not constant. The wave generator can be adjusted to create different types of waves, such as small ripples or large waves. Additionally, external factors such as wind and user activity in the pool can also affect the change in water height.

4. Can the water height of a wave pool be controlled?

Yes, the water height of a wave pool can be controlled by adjusting the settings on the wave generator. This allows for different types of waves to be created and can also help maintain a safe water level in the pool.

5. How does the change in water height of a wave pool affect the overall experience?

The change in water height of a wave pool is a crucial factor in creating a realistic and enjoyable experience for users. Too much or too little change in water height can affect the intensity and quality of the waves, thus impacting the overall experience. It is important for the wave pool operators to monitor and adjust the water height to ensure a fun and safe experience for all users.