Change of flux in an L-R circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of flux in an inductor and the resulting equations for the current through the inductor and capacitor. The main difference in the calculations arises from the initial conditions, with the book's answer assuming a non-zero initial current in the inductor. The conversation also touches on the behavior of capacitors and inductors in transient states.
arnab321

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=44283&stc=1&d=1329996280.jpg

Homework Equations

afaik, flux in inductor = Li.
at t=0, current through L is 0. so change of flux = LΔi = L(i-0)=Li

The Attempt at a Solution

at t=∞, i through cap. is 0.

so,
attachment.php?attachmentid=44282&stc=1&d=1329996286.jpg

i get the following equations:
5(i1+i2)=20
5(i1+i2)+ 5i2=10

i get i2=-2 and i1 = 6
i through indctor = i1+i2 = 4

so, flux=Li= 0.5*4=2

book's ans. is different.

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 447
  • Scan10001.jpg
    Scan10001.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
t-o current is zero in the inductor lol

but capacitor was charged at t-0

You did everything right except for assuming the current through the inductor is 0 right before the switch is closed.

vela said:
You did everything right except for assuming the current through the inductor is 0 right before the switch is closed.

Well, um... Current through inductor is i=i0(1-e^(-t/tau)). Putting t=0 in the equation, I get i=0.

That equation only applies to a simple LR circuit with the initial condition i(0-)=0. That's not what you have here.

vela said:
That equation only applies to a simple LR circuit with the initial condition i(0-)=0. That's not what you have here.

edit: oh I'm sorry I didn't see the battery there before the switch is closed.

I got the ans. 1.5.

That's not entirely accurate. At steady state, a capacitor acts like an open circuit, and an inductor, like a short circuit. I wouldn't say, however, the opposite is true at the beginning of a transient.

So suppose the switch has been open a long time before t=0. You replace the inductor with a short. What's the current flowing through the upper-left resistor? That will be the initial current through the inductor.

FAQ: Change of flux in an L-R circuit

1. What is the "Change of Flux" in an L-R circuit?

The change of flux in an L-R circuit refers to the change in magnetic flux that occurs in the inductor when there is a change in current flowing through the circuit. This change in flux induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the inductor, which then opposes the change in current.

2. How is the "Change of Flux" calculated in an L-R circuit?

The change of flux in an L-R circuit is calculated using Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux through the inductor. This can be expressed as ΔΦ = -LΔI/Δt, where ΔΦ is the change in flux, L is the inductance of the circuit, and ΔI/Δt is the rate of change of current.

3. What factors affect the "Change of Flux" in an L-R circuit?

The main factor that affects the change of flux in an L-R circuit is the rate of change of current. A larger change in current will result in a larger change in flux. Additionally, the inductance of the circuit and the resistance of the inductor also play a role in determining the change of flux.

4. How does the "Change of Flux" affect the behavior of an L-R circuit?

The change of flux in an L-R circuit is what causes the inductor to resist changes in current. This means that as the current in the circuit increases, the inductor will oppose the change by inducing an EMF that acts to reduce the current. Similarly, when the current decreases, the inductor will induce an EMF that acts to maintain the current.

5. Can the "Change of Flux" be manipulated in an L-R circuit?

Yes, the change of flux in an L-R circuit can be manipulated by changing the inductance or resistance in the circuit, or by varying the current at different rates. Additionally, by using other components such as capacitors, the change of flux can be used to create oscillating currents in the circuit, which can have practical applications in electronics and communication systems.

Back