Change of temperature in disc brakes

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation revolves around a brake system design and the calculation of whether the brake fluid will overheat during braking from top speed to a halt. The factors contributing to brake fluid overheating are discussed, and the use of equations to determine the heat generated and heat transfer rate is recommended. It is also suggested to consider the cooling mechanism and conduct experiments or simulations to validate the calculations.
Davieslad

Homework Statement

Basically I've got a brake system which i have designed, and i need to calculate if the brake fluid will overheat if the vehicle brakes from its top speed to a halt, and if so at what speed (or how long after braking commences) they will overheat

Brake force = 13000N
Distance = 2500m
Brake rotor radius =0.2m
Brake rotor Surface area (for all 4)= 2.11m^2
Mass of (all 4) rotors = 32kg
Specific heat capacity of the rotor = 1400JKg/K
heat transfer coefficient = 0.5

Homework Equations

w=Q=f.d
Q=mc(T-T)
Q=hA(T-T)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive made a simulink model using the above formulae, but I am getting the brakes heating up by about 1000 degrees per second, and them cooling by about 0.2 degrees, so I am fairly certain I've made a balls up somewhere.

Can anyone enlighten me as to a good way of solving this?

Cheers

Ed

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Ed,

Thank you for sharing your brake system design and calculations with us. It seems like you have put a lot of thought and effort into your design and I appreciate your attention to detail. I can offer some suggestions for how to approach this problem and hopefully help you find a solution.

Firstly, it is important to understand the factors that contribute to brake fluid overheating. These include the brake force, distance traveled, and the specific heat capacity and heat transfer coefficient of the brake rotor. It is also important to consider the ambient temperature and any other external factors that may affect the brake system's performance.

Next, I would recommend using the equations you have listed to calculate the amount of heat generated during braking and the rate of heat transfer. It is important to consider the entire system, including all four rotors, as they will all contribute to the overall heat generated. Additionally, the heat transfer coefficient will play a significant role in determining the rate at which the brakes will cool down.

Once you have calculated the heat generated and heat transfer rate, you can use these values to determine the temperature increase of the brake fluid over time. This can be done using the equation Q=mc(T-T), where Q is the heat generated, m is the mass of the brake fluid, c is the specific heat capacity of the brake fluid, and T is the temperature increase over time. This will give you an idea of how quickly the brake fluid will heat up and at what point it may reach a critical temperature.

It is also important to consider the cooling mechanism of your brake system. This could include air flow, cooling fins, or other methods of dissipating heat. By incorporating this into your calculations, you can get a more accurate estimate of the brake fluid's temperature during braking.

I would also recommend conducting some experiments or simulations to validate your calculations and ensure that your brake system is performing as expected. This will give you a better understanding of any potential issues and allow you to make necessary adjustments to your design.

I hope this helps guide you in finding a solution for your brake system. Keep in mind that there are many variables that can affect the performance of your brakes, so it may require some trial and error to find the optimal design. Good luck with your project!

I understand your concern about the potential overheating of the brake system. It is important to consider the change of temperature in disc brakes because high temperatures can affect the performance and safety of the vehicle.

Based on the information provided, I suggest considering the following factors in your analysis:

1. Braking efficiency: The efficiency of the brake system plays a crucial role in determining the amount of heat generated. If the brake system is not efficient, it will require more force to stop the vehicle, resulting in higher temperatures.

2. Material properties: The specific heat capacity and heat transfer coefficient of the brake rotor are important parameters to consider in your calculations. These properties determine how much heat the rotor can absorb and how quickly it can dissipate the heat.

3. Speed and distance: As the vehicle brakes from its top speed to a halt, the distance and time of braking will also affect the temperature change. The longer the distance or the higher the speed, the more heat will be generated.

4. Cooling system: It is important to consider the effectiveness of the cooling system in your brake design. If the cooling system is not efficient, it may not be able to dissipate the heat generated during braking, leading to overheating.

In addition to your calculations, I suggest conducting experiments to validate your results. This will help you identify any potential errors in your model and make necessary adjustments. It is also important to continuously monitor the temperature of the brake system during testing to ensure it stays within safe limits.

Overall, I recommend a thorough analysis of all the above factors to accurately predict the change of temperature in disc brakes and ensure the safety and performance of the vehicle.

Related to Change of temperature in disc brakes

1. How does temperature affect disc brakes?

Temperature affects disc brakes by causing changes in the material properties of the brake components. As temperature increases, the brake pads and rotors expand, which can lead to a decrease in braking performance and increased wear on the brake components.

2. What is the ideal operating temperature range for disc brakes?

The ideal operating temperature range for disc brakes varies depending on the specific type of brake and its application. However, most disc brakes function best within a temperature range of 250-400 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. How does temperature change during braking?

During braking, the friction between the brake pads and rotors generates heat. This heat is transferred to the brake components and can cause a significant increase in temperature, especially during heavy or prolonged braking.

4. What are the consequences of overheating disc brakes?

Overheating disc brakes can lead to a decrease in braking performance, increased wear on the brake components, and potentially catastrophic brake failure. It can also cause brake fade, where the brakes lose their effectiveness due to the high temperatures.

5. How can disc brakes be prevented from overheating?

To prevent disc brakes from overheating, it is important to properly maintain the brake system and use the correct type of brake pads for the specific application. Additionally, allowing the brakes to cool down between heavy braking events can help prevent overheating.