Change of Time period of a pendulum with additional mass

In summary, a question is posed about the time period of a simple pendulum with an added mass colliding with a body at the equilibrium position. The attempted solution is discussed, along with the incorrect statements made by the textbook. It is pointed out that the angular velocity and angular frequency are different quantities, and it is concerning that a textbook would make such errors.
Hijaz Aslam

Homework Statement

Q. [/B]The bob of a simple pendulum has a mass ##m## and it is executing simple harmonic motion of amplitude ##A## and period ##T##. It collides with a body of mass ##m_o## placed at the equilibrium position which sticks to the bob. The time period of the oscillation of the combined masses will be :

a. ## T## b. ##T \sqrt{\frac{m+m_o}{m-m_o}}## c. ##T \sqrt{\frac{m}{m-m_o}}## d. ##T \sqrt{\frac{m+m_o}{m}}##

Homework Equations

Time period of a simple pendulum = ##2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the time period equation, the 'time period (##T##)', 'frequency(##\nu##)' and 'angular frequency(##\omega##)' shall not change with the mass of the bob.

I think even when an external mass is added to the bob during motion the amplitude and other related factors (maximum velocity, energy etc) shall change except the Time Period.

But my text gives the answer as option (d).
It gives the solution as follows:

Let the velocity of the bob at the mean position be ##v## and the velocity of the combined mass ##(m+m_o)## be ##v_o##. Then according to the conservation of energy : [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}(m+m_o)v_o^2[/tex]

Now [tex] v=r\omega=r\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]v_o=r\omega _o=r\frac{2\pi}{T_o}[/tex]
Substituting the above two results in the former equation and simplifying the final answer should be : [tex]T \sqrt{\frac{m+m_o}{m}}[/tex]I am simply baffled by how the text made these two statements [tex] r\omega=r\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]r\omega _o=r\frac{2\pi}{T_o}[/tex]. Here ##\omega## and ##\omega _o## are the angular velocities and not the 'angular frequency' of the whole pendulum isn't it? Is it a 'schoolboy error' done by my textbook or am I missing any concepts? (I took time to post this question because, the text am referring to, is well reputed for its error free methods.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You text is wrong. Frequency will not change with mass.

Hijaz Aslam said:
I think even when an external mass is added to the bob during motion the amplitude and other related factors (maximum velocity, energy etc) shall change except the Time Period.
You are right, the time period will not change, as confirmed by DuckAmuk.

But my text gives the answer as option (d).
It gives the solution as follows:

Let the velocity of the bob at the mean position be ##v## and the velocity of the combined mass ##(m+m_o)## be ##v_o##. Then according to the conservation of energy : [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}(m+m_o)v_o^2[/tex]
The masses stick together. So, the collision is inelastic. The kinetic energy is not conserved.

Now [tex] v=r\omega=r\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]v_o=r\omega _o=r\frac{2\pi}{T_o}[/tex]
Substituting the above two results in the former equation and simplifying the final answer should be : [tex]T \sqrt{\frac{m+m_o}{m}}[/tex]

I am simply baffled by how the text made these two statements [tex] r\omega=r\frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]r\omega _o=r\frac{2\pi}{T_o}[/tex]. Here ##\omega## and ##\omega _o## are the angular velocities and not the 'angular frequency' of the whole pendulum isn't it?
Yes, that's exactly right. Angular velocity of the pendulum and angular frequency of the simple harmonic motion are two entirely different quantities. It's disconcerting that a textbook would make these errors. Do you mind telling us which textbook you are using?

Related to Change of Time period of a pendulum with additional mass

1. How does adding mass to a pendulum affect its time period?

Adding mass to a pendulum will increase its time period. This is because the added mass increases the inertia of the pendulum, making it resistant to changes in motion. As a result, it takes longer for the pendulum to complete each swing, thus increasing the time period.

2. Is the change in time period directly proportional to the added mass?

No, the change in time period is not directly proportional to the added mass. While adding mass does increase the time period, the relationship between the two is not linear. In fact, the change in time period decreases as the mass is increased, but at a decreasing rate.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect the change in time period with additional mass?

The length of the pendulum plays a significant role in the change of time period with additional mass. The longer the pendulum, the slower the increase in time period with added mass. This is because a longer pendulum has a longer time period to begin with, so the added mass has less of an impact.

4. Can the change in time period be reversed by removing the additional mass?

Yes, the change in time period can be reversed by removing the additional mass. This is because the added mass was the only factor contributing to the change in time period. Once it is removed, the pendulum will return to its original time period.

5. Is there a limit to how much mass can be added before the pendulum's time period becomes unpredictable?

Yes, there is a limit to how much mass can be added before the pendulum's time period becomes unpredictable. This limit is determined by the length and weight of the original pendulum. Adding too much mass can cause the pendulum to lose its regular swinging motion and become chaotic, making it difficult to predict the time period.