Change of variables in a differential equation in Maple

In summary, to obtain the differential equation Z'' + (1/x)Z' + α2Z = 0 from the given differential equation zZ'' + Z' + γ2 Z = 0, where Z=Z(z), we can use the change of variables x = √(z/b) with b as a constant. This can be done by using the assume command to specify b as a constant, and then using the subs command to substitute z = x^2 b in the original DE. From there, we can proceed with the dchange command to obtain the desired DE with Z=Z(x) and α= 2γ √b.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation zZ'' + Z' + γ2 Z = 0, where Z = Z(z). Use the change of variables x = √(z/b) with b a constant to obtain the differential equation Z'' + (1/x)Z' + α2Z = 0, where Z = Z(x) and α= 2γ √b

Homework Equations

Maple commands

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the following:
Code:
with(PDEtools):

PDE:= ...
tr:= {z = x^2 b}

dchange(tr, PDE)
however, this didn't work, possibly because maple is interpreting b as a variable , but I am not sure how to specify that it is simply a constant. I am not sure whether the above will give me what I want, since I have not specified anywhere that I want in the final DE, Z=Z(x).
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. To specify that b is a constant, you can use the assume command before defining your transformation:

assume(b, constant);

This will tell Maple to treat b as a constant rather than a variable. Then, you can proceed with your dchange command as you have already done.

However, as you mentioned, this may not give you the desired result since you have not specified that Z=Z(x) in the final DE. To do this, you can use the subs command to substitute z = x^2 b in the original DE:

DE := z*diff(Z(z),z$2)+diff(Z(z),z)+gamma^2*Z(z) = 0;
DE := subs(z = x^2*b, DE);

This will give you the desired DE with Z = Z(x). You can then proceed with your dchange command to obtain the final DE with the change of variables.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Change of variables in a differential equation in Maple

1. What is a change of variables in a differential equation?

A change of variables in a differential equation involves substituting one or more variables with new ones in order to simplify the equation or make it easier to solve.

2. How do I use Maple to perform a change of variables in a differential equation?

Maple has a built-in function called changevar that allows you to substitute variables in a differential equation with new ones. You can also use the subs function to perform a simple substitution.

3. What are the benefits of using a change of variables in a differential equation?

A change of variables can make a differential equation easier to solve, especially if the new variables are chosen to eliminate complex terms or make the equation separable. It can also provide a new perspective on the problem and reveal new insights or relationships.

4. Can a change of variables be used in any type of differential equation?

Yes, a change of variables can be used in any type of differential equation, including ordinary and partial differential equations. However, the effectiveness of the change may vary depending on the specific equation and variables chosen.

5. Are there any precautions to take when using a change of variables in a differential equation?

It is important to ensure that the new variables are well-defined and do not introduce any new singularities or discontinuities in the equation. It is also important to check the validity of the solution obtained using the new variables, as it may differ from the original solution.