Change of variables of differential equation

In summary, the given conversation discusses changing variables in an equation with the form dW/dt = g*dU/dy + hx*(d^2Z/dy^2), and replacing x and y with x' and y' in a rotating frame. The speaker is unsure how to change the differentials with the new variable and asks for help with the chain rule.
climbon
I have an equation that I am trying to change the variables of, it has the form;

[tex]

\frac{d}{dt} W = g \frac{\partial}{\partial y} U + h x \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} Z

[/tex]

Where W, U and Z are my dependent variables (This equation is just one of 3 coupled equations but have written only the above in general form).

I want to change the variables into a rotating frame, so;

x -----> x' = x(0) cos(wt) + y(0) sin(wt)
y -----> y' = -x(0) sin(wt) + y(0) cos(wt)

When putting these into the top equation, obviously it is simple to replace the x and y's but how do I change the differentials w.r.t. y with the new variable?

Thanks for any help :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you have a change of variables that looks like:
x'=x'(x,y,t)
y'=y'(x,y,t)
t'=t

Chain rule:

df/dy = df/dx' * dx'/dy + df/dy'*dy'/dy + df/dt'*dt'/dy= sin(wt)df/dx' +cos(wt)df/dy'

Sorry, I'm not sure how to use latex here. d is supposed to mean a partial d.

Related to Change of variables of differential equation

1. What is a change of variables in a differential equation?

A change of variables in a differential equation is a mathematical technique used to transform a given equation into an equivalent form, usually with the goal of simplifying the equation or making it easier to solve. This involves substituting a new variable or set of variables in place of the original ones.

2. Why is a change of variables useful in solving differential equations?

A change of variables can be useful in solving differential equations because it can transform a complex equation into a simpler one that is easier to solve. It can also help to identify patterns or relationships within the equation that may not have been apparent before.

3. How do you choose the appropriate change of variables for a differential equation?

The choice of appropriate change of variables for a differential equation depends on the specific equation and the desired outcome. Generally, a useful change of variables should simplify the equation, reduce the number of variables, or reveal symmetries or patterns. It may also be helpful to choose a change of variables that eliminates any singularities or makes the equation separable.

4. Can a change of variables always be applied to a differential equation?

In theory, a change of variables can be applied to any differential equation. However, in practice, it may not always be possible to find a suitable change of variables that simplifies the equation or leads to a solution. In some cases, the transformation may also introduce new difficulties or complexities.

5. How does a change of variables affect the solution to a differential equation?

A change of variables can significantly affect the form and structure of a solution to a differential equation. It may simplify the solution, make it more general, or reveal hidden relationships between variables. It can also help to identify special cases or symmetries in the solution that may have important physical or mathematical implications.