Change of Variables with Jacobians

In summary, the conversation is about finding a substitution or transformation to simplify a given integral and calculate its Jacobian. The person expressing their confusion and difficulty understanding the concept of change of variables. They suggest trying a substitution of u=x*sin(6x+7y) and v=3y*sin(6x+7y) or factoring out sin(6x+7y) and setting u=6x+7y and v=x-3y. They ask for assistance in understanding how to find the correct transformation for integrals.
Solid Snake

Homework Statement

Suggest a substitution/transformation that will simplify the following integral and find their jacobians:

[tex] \int\int_{R}x\sin(6x+7y)-3y\sin(6x+7y)dA [/tex]

Homework Equations

[ tex ] \int\int_{R}x\sin(6x+7y)-3y\sin(6x+7y)dA [ / tex ]

The Attempt at a Solution

This topic is change of variables (with Jacobians). My book does a terrible job of explaining it to someone who isn't the most talented at reading small abstract concepts (as if it were written as a professional math paper), and coming to 10,000 conclusions based on it. I basically understand this to be the same as "u-substitution" that I did in one variable calculus, except obviously this is for two variables. So I tried this as follows:

u=x*sin(6x+7y)
v=3y*sin(6x+7y)

From here I'm beyond lost. I mean, I know the definition of the jacobian, but I don't see any function x here (it requires you to get the derivative of x in terms of both u and v, and the derivative of y in terms of u and v). I don't even know if these substitutions are even correct. Honestly I'm beyond lost, and I would love it if someone could just explain this to me in English (something many math professors have a hard time doing). Can someone explain to me how one goes about finding the correct substitution or transformation when presented with such integrals (or ANY integral in general)? How does one find the transformations??

EDIT: I also thought of factoring out that sin(6x+7y) and then setting u=6x+7y and v=x-3y. I'm beyond lost...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solid Snake said:

Homework Statement

Suggest a substitution/transformation that will simplify the following integral and find their jacobians:

[tex] \int\int_{R}x\sin(6x+7y)-3y\sin(6x+7y)dA [/tex]

Homework Equations

[ tex ] \int\int_{R}x\sin(6x+7y)-3y\sin(6x+7y)dA [ / tex ]

The Attempt at a Solution

This topic is change of variables (with Jacobians). My book does a terrible job of explaining it to someone who isn't the most talented at reading small abstract concepts (as if it were written as a professional math paper), and coming to 10,000 conclusions based on it. I basically understand this to be the same as "u-substitution" that I did in one variable calculus, except obviously this is for two variables. So I tried this as follows:

u=x*sin(6x+7y)
v=3y*sin(6x+7y)

From here I'm beyond lost. I mean, I know the definition of the jacobian, but I don't see any function x here (it requires you to get the derivative of x in terms of both u and v, and the derivative of y in terms of u and v). I don't even know if these substitutions are even correct. Honestly I'm beyond lost, and I would love it if someone could just explain this to me in English (something many math professors have a hard time doing). Can someone explain to me how one goes about finding the correct substitution or transformation when presented with such integrals (or ANY integral in general)? How does one find the transformations??

EDIT: I also thought of factoring out that sin(6x+7y) and then setting u=6x+7y and v=x-3y. I'm beyond lost...

I like that last idea. Why are you lost? All you have to do is calculate the Jacobian.

Related to Change of Variables with Jacobians

1. What is a change of variables with Jacobians?

A change of variables with Jacobians is a mathematical method used to transform an integral from one coordinate system to another. It involves calculating the Jacobian determinant, which is the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables.

2. Why is a change of variables with Jacobians useful?

A change of variables with Jacobians allows for simplification and evaluation of integrals in more complex coordinate systems. It also helps in solving problems involving transformations of data and coordinates.

3. How do you calculate the Jacobian determinant?

The Jacobian determinant is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables and then taking the determinant of the resulting matrix.

4. Can a change of variables with Jacobians be applied to any type of integral?

Yes, a change of variables with Jacobians can be applied to any type of integral as long as the new variables are well-defined and the Jacobian determinant is non-zero.

5. Are there any limitations to using a change of variables with Jacobians?

One limitation of using a change of variables with Jacobians is that it may not always lead to a simpler integral. In some cases, it may even make the integral more complicated. Additionally, the Jacobian determinant may be difficult to calculate for certain coordinate systems.

Back