Change the precision in Ipython

In summary, The person is trying to plot an exponential function in Ipython, specifically y=exp(x^0.53), but is experiencing issues with small values of x resulting in a straight line. They suspect this is due to the first terms of the Taylor expansion being plotted instead. They are wondering if changing the precision or another factor would allow for a curve to be plotted for all values in their defined range. The responder asks for additional information or any new findings, and highlights the potential issue of the function being flat in certain ranges.
mahya
I want to plot an exponential function in Ipython, something like y=exp(x^0.53). But for small values of "x" it plots a straight line. Actually it plots the first terms of taylor expansion. How can I make it to give me curve for all values of x in my defined range? Should I change the precision or something else?

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What exactly are you trying to plot?
That function will be pretty flat in some ranges.

FAQ: Change the precision in Ipython

1. How do I change the precision in Ipython?

To change the precision in Ipython, you can use the built-in function round() or np.round() to specify the number of decimal places you want to display. For example, round(3.14159265, 2) will round the number to 2 decimal places and return 3.14.

2. Can I change the precision for all calculations in Ipython?

Yes, you can change the default precision for all calculations in Ipython by using the %precision magic command. Simply type %precision 2 (or any other desired number of decimal places) and all calculations will be displayed with that precision.

3. How can I change the precision for specific data types in Ipython?

You can use the dtype argument when creating or converting data types in Ipython to specify the precision. For example, np.array([1.234, 5.678], dtype='f2') will create an array with numbers rounded to 2 decimal places.

4. Is there a way to change the precision for scientific notation in Ipython?

Yes, you can change the precision for scientific notation in Ipython by using the set_printoptions() function from the numpy library. For example, np.set_printoptions(precision=3, suppress=True) will display scientific notation with 3 decimal places and suppress small numbers.

5. Can I change the precision for a specific output in Ipython?

Yes, you can use the format() function to specify the precision for a specific output in Ipython. For example, print(format(3.14159, '.2f')) will print the number 3.14159 with 2 decimal places.