Changing limits of integration in double integral

In summary, to invert the limits of integration of the following integrals, the shape of each integral must be determined first by finding the intersection of the given inequalities. Then, the limits must be rewritten in terms of the opposite variable and the integral must be done in the opposite order. It is recommended to draw a graph to avoid mistakes.
Tosh5457

Homework Statement

Invert the limits of integration of the following integrals:

[tex]
1 ) \int_{0}^{4} dx \int_{0}^{x} f(x,y)dy
\int_{0}^{2} dx \int_{0}^{\surd (4 - x^2)} f(x,y)dy
\int_{0}^{1} dy \int_{y}^{2-y} f(x,y)dx
[/tex]

These are 3 different integrals in 3 separate exercises, they're not multiplying. I don't know how to put new lines in latex... Tried \linebreak, \\, nothing worked...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to understand it and I even asked my professor but I didn't get it how to do this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tosh5457! :smile:

(just close and open the tex to start a new line :wink:)

Let's start with the first one …

always find the shape first …

the shape is a triangle: 0 ≤ x ≤ 4 and y ≤ x …

the other way round it's 0 ≤ y ≤ 4 and … ? :smile:

(and what shapes are the other two?)​

tiny-tim said:

(just close and open the tex to start a new line :wink:)

Let's start with the first one …

always find the shape first …

the shape is a triangle: 0 ≤ x ≤ 4 and y ≤ x …

the other way round it's 0 ≤ y ≤ 4 and … ? :smile:

(and what shapes are the other two?)​

The first one I know it's 0 ≤ y ≤ 4 and 4 ≤ x ≤ y because I saw the solution, but why can't it be 0 ≤ x ≤ y?
I know this shape is a triangle, but for example if 0 ≤ x ≤ 4 and y ≤ x, when x = 3 y ≤ 3 which is a square. What am I doing wrong?

I can't do the others yet, sorry... I'm really missing something here and I don't know what it is...

Last edited:
Tosh5457 said:
The first one I know it's 0 ≤ y ≤ 4 and 4 ≤ x ≤ y because I saw the solution, but why can't it be 0 ≤ x ≤ y?

No, you've copied this wrong, it's 4 ≥ x ≥ y, isn't it? :redface:

And it can't be 0 ≤ x ≤ y because that contradicts the original y ≤ x. :wink:
And shouldn't this shape be a square? If 0 ≤ x ≤ 4 and y ≤ x, when for example x = 3, y ≤ 3, which is a square.

no …

for x = 3, y ≤ 3,

for x = 4, y ≤ 4,

for x = 2, y ≤ 2,

for x = 1, y ≤ 1 …​

if you draw all those vertical lines you get a triangle.

To put it another way, this is the intersection of two regions …

0 ≤ x ≤ 4 is a vertical strip

0 ≤ y ≤ x is the wedge shape between the positive x-axis and the diagonal line y = x

so the intersection is where the vertical strip cuts the wedge, ie a triangle.

I suggest (in all three cases) you pick a few x-values and draw vertical lines for those x=values to show the maximum extent of y … that'll give you a shading from which you can see the outline of the whole shape.

Alternatively, rewrite the y limit (with an = not a ≤) so that it looks like an equation that you recognise (like y = x is a line).

What shape do you get for the second one? :smile:

No, you've copied this wrong, it's 4 ≥ x ≥ y, isn't it?

Yes you're right, I copied it wrong :redface:

if you draw all those vertical lines you get a triangle.

I see, I'd have to draw infinite vertical lines, right?

I usually have no problem seeing the shapes, like you said I draw the functions' graphs and then see the inequations to see what's the area.

So for the others:

2) [tex]\int_{0}^{2} dx \int_{0}^{\surd (4 - x^2)} f(x,y)dy[/tex]

0 ≤ y ≤ 2
0 ≤ x ≤ [tex]\surd (4 - x^2)[/tex]

3) [tex]\int_{0}^{1} dy \int_{y}^{2-y} f(x,y)dx[/tex]

I divided it into 2 regions. For the 1st one:

0 ≤ x ≤ 1
0 ≤ y ≤ x

and the 2nd one:

1 ≤ x ≤ 2
0 ≤ y ≤ x -2

which means I'd have to do 2 double integrals for each domain.

I think I found the "trick" to do this, but isn't it possible to do it just using the initial inequations, without even looking to the functions graph?

Last edited:
Tosh5457 said:

No, they're short vertical lines from the x-axis to the line x = y. :wink:
So for the others:

Yes, those are all fine :smile:

(except where you mistyped x2 for y2)
I think I found the "trick" to do this, but isn't it possible to do it just using the initial inequations, without even looking to the functions graph?

Yes it is, but it's so easy to make a mistake (particularly in an exam) that it's best to draw the graph anyway. :wink:

Tosh5457 said:
Yes you're right, I copied it wrong :redface:

I usually have no problem seeing the shapes, like you said I draw the functions' graphs and then see the inequations to see what's the area.

So for the others:

2) [tex]\int_{0}^{2} dx \int_{0}^{\surd (4 - x^2)} f(x,y)dy[/tex]

0 ≤ y ≤ 2
0 ≤ x ≤ [tex]\surd (4 - x^2)[/tex]

3) [tex]\int_{0}^{1} dy \int_{y}^{2-y} f(x,y)dx[/tex]

0 ≤ x ≤ 1
0 ≤ y ≤ x

and the 2nd one:

1 ≤ x ≤ 2
0 ≤ y ≤ x -2

Perhaps your notation is confusing you. In 2), the dx-integral is "outer" (done last) while the dy-integral is "inner" (done first). So, the dy integration is done before we even get around to integrating with respect to x. What are the limits on the dy-integration (they may depend on x). If you now imagine that you have done the dy-integral, you will now have a function of x alone. What are its integration limits?

Note: you could write, instead:
[tex] \displaystyle
\int_{0}^{2} \{ \int_{0}^{\surd (4 - x^2)} f(x,y)dy \: \} \, dx,
[/tex]
which would make the integration order clearer. It is OK to write it as you did, but only if you understand the ordering conventions involved.

RGV

Related to Changing limits of integration in double integral

1. How do you change the limits of integration in a double integral?

To change the limits of integration in a double integral, you need to determine the new limits based on the given function and the desired region of integration. This often involves using graphs or geometric shapes to visualize the region and then setting up the new limits accordingly.

2. Why would you need to change the limits of integration in a double integral?

Changing the limits of integration allows you to integrate over different regions or to solve for different variables in the function. This can be useful when trying to find the volume of a 3-dimensional shape or when solving for a specific variable in a multivariable function.

3. Can the limits of integration be changed in any order?

No, the order of integration matters when changing the limits. The outer limits should always correspond to the outer integral and the inner limits to the inner integral. Swapping the order of integration can result in a different answer.

4. Are there any specific techniques for changing the limits of integration?

There are various techniques for changing the limits of integration, depending on the given function and the desired region of integration. Some common techniques include using geometric shapes, substitution, and converting to polar or spherical coordinates.

5. How do you check if the new limits of integration are correct?

You can check the new limits of integration by evaluating the integral using the new limits and comparing the result to the original integral. If the answers are the same, then the new limits are correct. Additionally, you can also use visualization tools or online calculators to check the region of integration and the corresponding limits.