Changing order of integration for a double integral

In summary: Therefore, the new limits of integration are from 0 to g(x) for y and from -infinity to infinity for x.In summary, the line in the proof is showing the switch of integration order and the change in limits of integration. The new limits are determined by the region of integration, which is below the graph of the nonnegative function g(x) and above the x-axis. This proof comes from the book "A first course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross and is proving the expectation of a function of a continuous random variable X with a probability density function f(x).
JFo
I'm reading through a proof (the full theorem statement is at the bottom of the post) in a book on probability and I'm having trouble following a line in the proof. The line reads as follows:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{x:g(x)>y} f(x) dx dy = \int_{x:g(x)>0} \int_{0}^{g(x)} dy f(x) dx [/tex]

Where g(x) is a nonnegative function and f(x) is a probability density function for a continuous random variable X. So all that's happened in this line is that they switched the order of integration, and the part I'm having trouble with is changing the limits of integration from the left hand side to the new limits on the right hand side. The only way I know how to determine the new limits is to draw out the region of integration in the x-y plane and determine the end-points but I keep coming up with something different.

In case anyone is wondering, the proof comes from the book "A first course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross (5th edition), and is proving the following fact about the expectation of a function of a continuous random variable X with probability density function f(x):

[tex] E[g(X)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x)f(x)dx [/tex]

The book only proves it in the case that g(x) is nonnegative

Thanks much in advance!

PS - Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I felt this was more of a calculus question than a probability question, but please feel free to move it if you think it's better off somewhere else.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, it just hit me.

If R is the region of integration then
R = {(x,y)| g(x)>y and y>=0}, or more compactly R = {(x,y)| 0<=y< g(x)}

Which of course is just the area below the graph of g(x) and above the x-axis (g is assumed non negative) eliminating the points where g(x)=0.

Last edited:

Related to Changing order of integration for a double integral

What is the purpose of changing the order of integration for a double integral?

The purpose of changing the order of integration for a double integral is to make the integration process simpler and more efficient. It allows for easier evaluation of the integral and can often lead to a more intuitive understanding of the problem.

What is the general process for changing the order of integration for a double integral?

The general process for changing the order of integration involves switching the order of integration variables and adjusting the bounds accordingly. This is typically done by identifying the type of region being integrated over and choosing the appropriate order of integration.

When should I consider changing the order of integration for a double integral?

You should consider changing the order of integration when the original order of integration is difficult to evaluate or does not provide a clear understanding of the problem. This is often the case when integrating over non-rectangular or irregularly shaped regions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when changing the order of integration for a double integral?

Common mistakes to avoid include switching the order of integration variables without adjusting the bounds, using the incorrect order of integration for the type of region being integrated over, and not considering the direction of integration (vertical or horizontal) when switching the order of integration.

Are there any special cases where changing the order of integration is not necessary?

Yes, there are certain cases where changing the order of integration is not necessary, such as when the region being integrated over is already in a convenient form for the given order of integration or when the integral can be evaluated easily in its original form without changing the order of integration.