Changing polar equations to rectangular equations?

We can "complete the square" by adding (y^2/4) to both sides to get x^2+ (y^2/4)= 2 which can be written as (x-0)^2+ (y/2)^2= 2, the equation of a circle with center at (0, 0) and radius \sqrt{2}.In summary, changing polar equations to rectangular equations involves multiplying both sides by r and using trigonometric identities to rewrite the equation in terms of x and y. This allows you to graph the equation in the Cartesian plane.
steener
changing polar equations to rectangular equations?

Can somebody please explain to me, how I would convert:

?=?/2 into a rectangular equation?

Along with: r=sin?, r=6cos+sin?, r(squared)sin2?=2

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask in the home-work section, not here.

This thread will be moved, so don't make a new one.

steener said:
Can somebody please explain to me, how I would convert:

?=?/2 into a rectangular equation?

Along with: r=sin?, r=6cos+sin?, r(squared)sin2?=2

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately your "special characters" just show up as "?" to me. I would guess that the ? in the last three are "theta": [itex]\theta[/itex] in LaTex, but I have no idea what the "?" in ?= ?/2 are- I presume they are different or the equation is trivial.

I presume that you know (or else you wouldn't be attempting these problems) that [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex]. Looking at the first one, my thought would be to multiply both sides by r: [itex]r^2= r sin(\theta)[/itex] which, since [itex]r^2= r^2(cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)= x^2+ y^2[/itex], is just [itex]x^2+ y^2= y[/itex], the equation of a circle.

For [itex]r= 6cos(\theta)+ sin(theta)[/itex], same thing: multiply both sides by r to get [itex]r^2= 6r cos(\theta)+ r sin(\theta)= x^2+ y^2= 6x+ y[/itex], again the equation of a circle.

For [itex]r^2 sin(2\theta)= 2[/itex], use the fact that [itex]sin(2\theta)= 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/itex].

Related to Changing polar equations to rectangular equations?

1. How do you convert a polar equation to a rectangular equation?

To convert a polar equation to a rectangular equation, you can use the following formulas:

• x = r * cos(theta)
  • y = r * sin(theta)

Where r represents the distance from the origin and theta represents the angle from the positive x-axis.

2. Can all polar equations be converted to rectangular equations?

Yes, all polar equations can be converted to rectangular equations. However, some equations may result in more complex rectangular equations.

3. How do you handle negative values in the polar equation when converting to a rectangular equation?

In the polar coordinate system, negative values in the polar equation represent angles in the opposite direction from the positive x-axis. To handle negative values, you can add or subtract 180 degrees (pi radians) from the angle in the polar equation to get the corresponding angle in the rectangular equation.

4. Are there any limitations when converting polar equations to rectangular equations?

One limitation when converting polar equations to rectangular equations is that the resulting rectangular equation may not accurately represent the original polar equation. This is because the two coordinate systems have different properties and may not always be equivalent.

5. How can converting polar equations to rectangular equations be useful in scientific research?

Converting polar equations to rectangular equations can be useful in scientific research as it allows for easier visualization and analysis of data. Rectangular equations are also more commonly used in mathematical modeling and computer programming, making it easier to apply scientific principles and equations to real-world problems.