Changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the changes that need to be made to the Hamiltonian when working in a frame of reference where one particle is at rest. It is noted that no particle can truly be at rest in the Hamiltonian, and three options for changing coordinates are mentioned: on the level of the Lagrangian, on the level of the Hamiltonian function, and on the level of the Hamiltonian operator. An example using unitary transformations is given to illustrate the changes that can occur when introducing a c.o.m. frame for a central potential.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose I'm considering particles of mass [itex]\mu_i[/itex], [itex]1 \leq i \leq 3[/itex], located at positions [itex]r_i[/itex]. Suppose I ignore the potential between [itex]\mu_1[/itex] and [itex]\mu_2[/itex]. Then the Hamiltonian I'd write down would be

[tex]
H = -\frac{1}{2\mu_1}\Delta_1 -\frac{1}{2\mu_2}\Delta_2 - \frac{1}{2\mu_3}\Delta_3 + V_1(r_3 - r_1) + V_2(r_3 - r_2).
[/tex]

But what if I instead want to work in a frame of reference in which [itex]\mu_1[/itex] is at rest? How should I go about changing [itex]H[/itex]? I'm never very sure of myself when I do these kinds of calculations, so any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The are several options, but first of all no particle will be "at rest" at the level of the Hamiltonian; it's a special solution (in classical mechanics) where one momentum p vanishes, i.e. where one particle is at rest. You must not set p=0 in H.

Coordinate changes can be done at three levels
- on the level of the Lagrangian, as usual in classical mechanics
- on the level of the Hamiltonian function, i.e. using canonical transformations
- on the level of the Hamiltonian operator, i.e. using unitary transformations

There is a nice example using unitary transformations showing what really happens when we introduce the c.o.m. frame for a central potential; the new coordinates can be interpreted as r,R,p,P, where R does not appear in H, so P is conserved. That means tha strictly speaking we should not set P=0, but we have a plane wave in R and P.

Related to Changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian in physics is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system. It is often used in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system.

2. Why would you want to change the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference?

Changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference allows for a different perspective or viewpoint to be applied to the system. This can be useful for simplifying complex problems or analyzing the system from a different angle.

3. How do you change the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference?

To change the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference, one must first determine the transformation that relates the two frames. This transformation can then be applied to the Hamiltonian using a mathematical technique called a canonical transformation.

4. What is the significance of changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference?

Changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference can reveal new insights about the system and make it easier to solve complex problems. It can also help to simplify the equations of motion and make them more manageable.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference?

While changing the Hamiltonian to a new frame of reference can be a useful tool, it is not always applicable. In some cases, the transformation may not exist or may be too complicated to implement. Additionally, the transformed Hamiltonian may not accurately represent the original system in all cases.