Changing the Order of Integration for a Double Integral: How Do I Evaluate This?

In summary, the student is trying to integrate a function where the order of integration needs to be reversed. They found a way to do it with power series, but are not sure why the order is reversed in the first place.
Refraction

Homework Statement

Looks like I'm back with another question already :frown: I need to change the order of integration for this double integral and then evaluate it, but I get to a point where I'm not sure what to do.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int^3_{0} \int^9_{y} \sqrt{x}cos(x) dx dy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

With the changed order of integration it needs two integrals added together, this is what I came up with:

[tex]\int^3_{0} \int^x_{0} \sqrt{x}cos(x) dy dx + \int^9_{3} \int^3_{0} \sqrt{x}cos(x) dy dx[/tex]

And I planned to work them both out separately, but didn't get too far with the first one:

[tex]= \int^3_{0} \left[y\sqrt{x}cos(x)\right]^{x}_{0} dx[/tex]

[tex]= \int^3_{0} x\sqrt{x}cos(x) dx[/tex]

I'm not sure if I've made a mistake getting here, but it looks like I need to integrate [tex]x\sqrt{x}cos(x)[/tex] and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Refraction! :smile:

Your change of order looks fine.

The only problem is how to integrate x1/2cosx or x3/2cosx … I don't know any way of doing that (other than using power series). :redface:

That's what I was thinking as well, we've never done anything like that in this class before, and it's only supposed to be a small question so I'm not sure why it's like that.

The only thing I can think of is it maybe meaning to change the order and just leave it like that, but it's worded a bit strangely then. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Hi Refraction,

How did you change the order?(there was a y ?)

For the computation of the integral, the only way I can see is with power series too...

The line was x = y in the original question, I just used it as y = x for when the order is reversed (so it's in the first half of the reversed order integral now).

:confused: I still don't understand...

Well the area bounded by the lines looks something like this:

9qwcoi.png

So with the reversed order of integration (dy dx) for the first double integral, R1, the inner integral is from y = 0 to y = x, and the outer integral is from x = 0 to x = 3.

I got it. thank you very much!

Ah, Grasshopper. The student has become the master!

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

FAQ: Changing the Order of Integration for a Double Integral: How Do I Evaluate This?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves calculating the area under a two-dimensional surface. It is represented by a nested integral symbol and is used to find the volume, mass, or other quantities of a three-dimensional object or system.

2. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to determine the region of integration and set up the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, you integrate the inner integral with respect to one variable and treat the remaining variable as a constant. Finally, you integrate the resulting expression with respect to the remaining variable.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral involves calculating the area under a one-dimensional curve, while a double integral involves calculating the area under a two-dimensional surface. A single integral has one variable of integration, while a double integral has two variables of integration.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the mass of an irregularly shaped object, determining the center of mass of an object, and calculating the average value of a function over a given area.

5. How can I check if I have solved a double integral correctly?

To check if you have solved a double integral correctly, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to differentiate the result. If the resulting expression matches the integrand, then you have solved the integral correctly. Additionally, you can use software or online calculators to verify your solution.

Back