Changing variables in the Schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a Schrodinger equation for two interacting particles from position coordinates (x, y) to center of mass coordinates (R, r). The resulting equation is expressed in terms of a new wave function, and the question is posed whether the original wave function can be expressed in terms of the new one. The answer depends on whether there is a one-to-one mapping between the position coordinates and the center of mass coordinates.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose I have a Schrodinger equation for two interacting particles located at x and y; so, something like
[tex]
\left( i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{2m_x} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{1}{2m_y} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} + V(x-y) \right) \psi(x,y,t) = 0.
[/tex]
Now, I want to shift to center of mass coordinates R and r and write the Hamiltonian in terms of them. The resulting Schrodinger equation looks something like
[tex]
\left( i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + H(R,r) \right) \varphi(R,r,t) = 0.
[/tex]
Question: is it true that
[tex]
\psi(x,y,t) = \varphi \left(\frac{m_x x + m_y y}{m_x + m_y},x-y,t\right)?
[/tex]
If so, why? I have been trying to prove this but have so far just been going around in circles it seems...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write ##x## and ##y## in terms of ##R## and ##r##, such that you have a one-to-one mapping between the two? If yes, then there is no difference between expressing a function in terms of ##(x,y)## or of ##(R,r)##.

Related to Changing variables in the Schrodinger equation

1. How does changing variables affect the Schrodinger equation?

Changing variables in the Schrodinger equation affects the solution of the equation, as different variables may lead to different solutions. This is because the Schrodinger equation describes the behavior of a quantum system, and different variables can represent different aspects of the system.

2. What are some common variables that can be changed in the Schrodinger equation?

Some common variables that can be changed in the Schrodinger equation include the potential energy, the mass of the particles in the system, and the time interval.

3. Can changing variables in the Schrodinger equation lead to different physical interpretations?

Yes, changing variables in the Schrodinger equation can lead to different physical interpretations. For example, changing the potential energy variable can result in a different description of the energy levels and behavior of the system.

4. What is the significance of changing variables in the Schrodinger equation?

Changing variables in the Schrodinger equation allows us to study different aspects of a quantum system and explore different scenarios. This can provide valuable insights and understanding of the behavior of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to changing variables in the Schrodinger equation?

While changing variables in the Schrodinger equation can be a useful tool, there are limitations to consider. For example, certain changes may result in a non-physical or non-realistic solution, and some variables may be more difficult to change in practice.