Chapman University vs UC Riverside

• Schools
  • Thread starter hawk24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Chapman is a private college that may have smaller class sizes and a wider opportunity for research undergrads, while UC Riverside is a public university with a focus on the sciences. I think the California public higher education system is awesome and are a great value, especially in the sciences.
hawk24
I got accepted to both Chapman University and UC Riverside. I'm a statistics major at UC Riverside and a mathematics major at Chapman. I really do not know which one to choose. Chapman is private and Riverside is public. I would like to become a statistician and I would like to attend grad school. Anyways these are my options.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hawk24 said:
I got accepted to both Chapman University and UC Riverside. I'm a statistics major at UC Riverside and a mathematics major at Chapman. I really do not know which one to choose. Chapman is private and Riverside is public. I would like to become a statistician and I would like to attend grad school. Anyways these are my options.

Thanks for the help

Are you going in as a freshman or transfer? Realize that if you are a freshman, you will be taking your math courses (Calc I through Elementary Lin ALg/Diff EQ) with hundreds of other people at any UC. Once you go into upper division courses though, the number drop to about 30 or so student in a lecture (maybe even less). Chapman is a very very small college, so you won't have any issues with class size.

You also have to remember that UCR is a research university while chapman is a lib arts college. This may be a good/bad thing depending on what you want to do. At a large public research U like the UC schools, undergrads are usually second tier...thier focus is on the grads and faculty research. But being such a large university, the opportunity to do undergrad research is much wider than at a small college (which would be great for grad school). Remember, at a UC you are going to have 30+ thousand students and you got to figure out how to distinguish yourself from the herd. At Chapman, you have a fraction of that number, so you are likely to be more visible to faculty and might have a higher opportunity at really getting know your faculty.

The big issue for me would be the price of attending. I believe a UC school cost about 3K a quarter times 3 quarters and you are looking at tuition of about 10K a year. Chapman being private is going to cost you up to $35K+ just on tuition alone. You got to have a roof over your head and you got to eat on top of that. Obviously there are ways to pay for your education, but short of getting serious amounts of scholarship money, you can expect to rack up quite a nice load of student loans attending a private uni.

I don't know much about Chapman math specifically, but I know the physical sciences arent the main focus of Chapman (they do have a great film school though), that's another thing to consider. I personally think that the California public higher education system is awesome (the UC's, the cali community colleges and even some Cal States) and are a great value, especially in the sciences.

Sorry I am a transfer and Chapman is a 20 min drive away so I would commute there from home. I would move closer to UCR though if I went there as it is a little farther. The main thing I am considering is the quality of each program. I've had interaction with a couple of professors at UCR though I have had close to none with any at Chapman which is why I am unsure.
Anyways thanks for your help.

FAQ: Chapman University vs UC Riverside

1) What are the main differences between Chapman University and UC Riverside?

Chapman University is a private institution located in Orange, California, while UC Riverside is a public institution located in Riverside, California. Chapman University has a smaller undergraduate population of about 9,600 students, while UC Riverside has a larger undergraduate population of about 20,000 students. Additionally, Chapman University has a higher tuition cost compared to UC Riverside.

2) Which university has a stronger academic reputation?

Both Chapman University and UC Riverside have strong academic reputations. Chapman University is ranked #5 in Regional Universities West by U.S. News & World Report, while UC Riverside is ranked #35 in National Universities. Both institutions offer a variety of highly-ranked programs and have renowned faculty members.

3) What is the average class size at Chapman University and UC Riverside?

At Chapman University, the average class size is 23 students, which allows for a more intimate and personalized learning experience. At UC Riverside, the average class size is slightly larger at 27 students. However, both universities offer small class sizes and individualized attention from professors.

4) How does the campus culture differ between Chapman University and UC Riverside?

Chapman University has a strong emphasis on liberal arts and a close-knit community, with about 70% of students living on campus. UC Riverside, on the other hand, has a more diverse and multicultural campus with a larger percentage of students commuting. Both universities offer a variety of student organizations and activities for students to get involved in.

5) What are the admission requirements for Chapman University and UC Riverside?

The admission requirements for Chapman University and UC Riverside differ slightly. Chapman University requires a completed application, high school transcripts, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores (SAT or ACT). UC Riverside also requires a completed application, high school transcripts, and standardized test scores, but they have a test-optional policy for the SAT and ACT. Both universities consider extracurricular activities and personal essays in the admissions process.