Charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field along the x-axis for a non-conducting hemisphere with a uniform charge distribution. The solution involves dividing the hemisphere into smaller rings and integrating over the differential units of area using the law of cosines to find the distance. This approach may be used in a test, but there could be a simpler solution.
adobekenobe

Homework Statement

A non-conducting hemisphere of radius R centered at the origin has a total charge Q spread uniformly over its surface. The hemisphere is oriented such that its base is in the (y,z) plane. Find the electric field anywhere along the x-axis for x > 0. Give explicitly the value of the electric field at x = 0.
Here is an image of the problem as it was given to me:
http://i.imgur.com/GZ5Edcc.jpg

Homework Equations

ERing = (1/4∏ε0)*Qx/(x2+R2)3/2
Q = 2ρ∏r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to sub-divide the hemisphere into separate rings and integrate the sum, but the integral I ended up with was pretty ugly and I'm not even sure it's correct. I added a variable r, representing the radius of each individual ring and integrated with respect to it.
My integral:
(R2ρ/2∏ε0)*∫(x+(R-r))dr/((x+(R-r))2+r2)3/2
From 0 → R
I could probably solve this integral given enough time, but I'm pretty sure I will be expected to do this on a test and was hoping there was a less complicated solution.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You are integrating k dq/(d^2) over the charged surface. What do you know about dq? Well, you know that since Q = 2ρπR^2, you know that ρ = Q/(2πR^2) and that dq = ρ dA, which is a differential unit of area.

How will you integrate over these differential units? Since the radius doesn't change, you have two angles, and you know that dA = R^2 sin(θ) dθ dφ. This let's you integrate over the surface.

You still need to define d, though. d is the distance from the charge to the point you're measuring the electric field at. Try to draw the distance to a differential unit of area on the sphere. You'll see it forms a triangle: the distance to the unit of area, the radius of the shell, and the length from the origin. You'll also have the angle φ. Using the law of cosines, you can find out the distance.

Now that you know your parameters of integration, you can take it from here.

FAQ: Charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere

1. What is a non-conducting hemisphere?

A non-conducting hemisphere is a three-dimensional shape that has a flat base and a curved surface, similar to a half of a sphere. It is made of a material that does not allow the flow of electric charge, known as an insulator.

2. How does charge behave at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere?

Charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere behaves similarly to charge at a distance from a point charge. The electric field lines diverge from the hemisphere's surface and follow the inverse square law, decreasing in strength as the distance from the hemisphere increases.

3. What is the significance of charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere?

The charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with different objects and materials. It also has practical applications in various technologies, such as capacitors and particle accelerators.

4. How is the electric field strength calculated at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere?

The electric field strength at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the hemisphere, and r is the distance from the center of the hemisphere.

5. What factors can affect the charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere?

The charge at a distance from a non-conducting hemisphere can be affected by the magnitude of the charge on the hemisphere, the distance from the center of the hemisphere, and the presence of other nearby charges. The material and shape of the hemisphere can also play a role in the behavior of the electric field.

Back