Charge carrier screening in semiconductor

In summary, the user is seeking help in finding the formula for calculating the screening length in silicon, referenced in a paper and a book on semiconductor devices. Another user provides a link to the formula for the Debye length, which can also be found on page 86 of the book.
mzh
Dear physics forums users,
I'm reading a paper saying "For hole density [itex]p\sim 10^{17} - 10^{18}/cm^3[/itex], the screening length in silicon, [itex]\lambda_{Si}[/itex], is ~1-2nm."
For this, the paper references Sze's, Physics of Semiconductor Devices.
I'm unable to find the formula by which the authors seem to be calculating this screening length in the book. Can somebody point me out on where to find it?

Thanks for hints.

Engineering news on Phys.org
@uart: Thanks. I also found the formula now on p.86.

Related to Charge carrier screening in semiconductor

1. What is charge carrier screening in semiconductors?

Charge carrier screening in semiconductors refers to the phenomenon where free charges in a semiconductor material are affected by the presence of other charges. This interaction between charges can lead to changes in the properties of the semiconductor, such as its conductivity.

2. How does charge carrier screening impact semiconductor devices?

Charge carrier screening can significantly affect the performance of semiconductor devices. It can alter the concentration and mobility of charge carriers, which can impact the device's conductivity, speed, and efficiency. It is an important factor to consider in the design and optimization of semiconductor devices.

3. What factors influence charge carrier screening in semiconductors?

The strength of the electric field, the type and concentration of charge carriers, and the doping level of the semiconductor material all influence charge carrier screening. Additionally, the temperature, impurities, and defects in the material can also affect this phenomenon.

4. How is charge carrier screening measured and characterized?

Charge carrier screening can be measured and characterized through various techniques such as Hall effect measurements, capacitance-voltage measurements, and transient photocurrent measurements. These methods can provide information about the concentration and mobility of charge carriers and the strength of the electric field in the semiconductor material.

5. Can charge carrier screening be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, charge carrier screening can be controlled and manipulated by altering the electric field strength, changing the doping level, or introducing impurities or defects in the semiconductor material. By controlling charge carrier screening, the performance of semiconductor devices can be optimized for specific applications.

Back