Charge distribution in concentric shells

In summary, the question involves a solid conducting sphere with a charge of 16.00 µC and a conducting spherical shell with an inner radius of 4.00 cm and an outer radius of 5.00 cm, which has a total charge of -3.00 µC. The electric field at r = 4.50 cm from the center of this charge configuration is zero, as the electric field is zero within a conductor. The net charge within the enclosed Gaussian is Qin=+13μC, and the charge on the inner surface of the outer shell is -16µC. The charge on the outer surface of the outer shell is 13 µC, resulting in a net charge of -3.00 µ
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

A solid conducting sphere of radius 2.00 cm has a charge 16.00 µC. A conducting spherical shell of inner radius 4.00 cm and outer radius 5.00 cm is concentric with the solid sphere and has a total charge of -3.00 µC. (Take radially outward as the positive direction.)
Find the electric field at r = 4.50 cm from the center of this charge configuration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there's something wrong with my physical picture. So before I get into any calculations, this is what I'm thinking.

physics.png

Since they are conductors the charge can move around. The inner sphere is positive so it will attract the negative charges from the outside of the outer sphere to the inside, leaving the outside of the outer sphere positive.
Therefore, the net charge within the enclosed Gaussian should be Qin=+13μC.

However, that doesn't seem to yield the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the question states that the outer shell is conducting ? If yes , then the answer is pretty simple . What is the electric field inside a conductor ?

Yes I'm sure.

It's 0 inside a conductor. But the Gaussian is also surrounding the smaller conducting sphere, that should account for some field?

Yes, all the way to the inner radius of the outer shell, where you have correctly drawn a bunch of +++ ! Just a skin depth into the outer shell the field really is 0 (otherwise more charges would move until it is).

Wait, I didn't understand that. Can you explain again?

Feodalherren said:
Yes I'm sure.

It's 0 inside a conductor. But the Gaussian is also surrounding the smaller conducting sphere, that should account for some field?

The diagram you have made has incorrect amount of negative charge -3.00 µC on the inner surface of outer shell .

If you know electric field is zero within the conductor then you are done with the problem .

Even if you wish to apply Gauss Law to this problem ,you need to use the fact that electric field inside a conductor is 0 .

Take a gaussian sphere of radius 'r' , 4<r<5 .Since E = 0 , ∫E.ds = 0 which as per Gauss Law implies charge enclosed in the gaussian sphere is 0 .This in turn means that the charge enclosed on the inner surface of the outer shell is -16µC .The charge on the outer surface of outer shell will be 13 µC ,such that the net charge on the outer shell is -3.00 µC .The electric field lines from the outer shell are radially outwards .

The electric field lines originate from the outer surface of inner sphere and terminate at the inner surface of outer shell such that the electric field at r , 4<r<5 is zero .

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
... have correctly drawn a bunch of +++ ! ..
Sorry, that was a bunch of --- (I didn't look at the number -3, but Tanya handled that, and the remainder excellently).

Related to Charge distribution in concentric shells

1. What is charge distribution in concentric shells?

Charge distribution in concentric shells refers to the way that electric charge is spread out or distributed in a system of nested spherical shells. This is often used to describe the electric field and potential generated by a charged sphere, where the charge is evenly distributed over the surface of the sphere.

2. How is charge distributed in concentric shells?

In concentric shells, the charge is distributed in a way that the electric field and potential are constant on each shell. This means that the amount of charge on each shell is directly proportional to the surface area of the shell. As you move from one shell to the next, the amount of charge increases or decreases depending on the distance from the center of the shells.

3. What is the importance of understanding charge distribution in concentric shells?

Understanding charge distribution in concentric shells is important in many areas of science and engineering. It can help in the design of electric circuits, the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields, and the analysis of complex systems involving multiple charged objects. It is also a fundamental concept in electrostatics and can help us understand the behavior of electric charges in various situations.

4. How does the charge distribution in concentric shells affect the electric field and potential?

The charge distribution in concentric shells directly affects the strength and direction of the electric field and potential. As mentioned earlier, the electric field and potential are constant on each shell, and as you move between shells, the strength of the field and potential changes based on the amount of charge on each shell. This allows us to calculate the electric field and potential at any point inside or outside of the shells.

5. Can charge distribution in concentric shells be used to calculate the electric field and potential of any charged object?

Yes, charge distribution in concentric shells can be used to calculate the electric field and potential of any charged object that has a spherical symmetry. This means that the charge is spread out evenly over the surface of the object. This concept is commonly used in calculating the electric field and potential of charged particles, such as electrons, protons, and ions, as well as larger objects like spheres and shells.