Charge Distribution in Nonconducting Shell System

• Thread starter kilnvzol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the problem involves determining the charge of a suspended particle at the center of two concentric spherical shells made of nonconducting material. The net flux through a Gaussian sphere centered on the particle is shown in Figure (b) as a function of the sphere's radius. The scale of the vertical axis is set by Φs = 6.0 × 105 N·m2/C. By using the equation EI = q(enc), the charge of the central particle is calculated to be 1.77µC. The net charges of shell A and shell B are determined to be -7.08µC and 10.62µC, respectively. The incorrect calculation in the first part was due to not accounting
kilnvzol

Homework Statement

A charged particle is suspended at the center of two concentric spherical shells that are very thin and made of nonconducting material. Figure (a) shows a cross section. Figure (b) gives the net flux Φ through a Gaussian sphere centered on the particle, as a function of the radius r of the sphere. The scale of the vertical axis is set by Φs = 6.0 × 105 N·m2/C. (a) What is the charge of the central particle? What are the net charges of (b) shell A and(c) shell B? (in µC)
http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c23/pict_23_12.gif

Homework Equations

EI = q(enc)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a. I multiplied (2E5)(8.85E-12) = 1.77µC
For part b. I did -(6E5)(8.85E-12)-1.77E-6 = -7.08µC
For part c. I did (6E5)(8.85E-12)+(7.08E-6)-(1.77E-6) = 10.62µC

I don't know what I did wrong. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello kilnvzol, welcome to PF :smile: !

Did you check the scale factor ##\Phi_S## ?

My guess is that you got the first part right but not the other two? The first part seems good, but then you go and start subtracting things. You were correct in counting the number of steps the flux increased immediately outside of the point charge, that was good. But then you notice that the flux drops by 6 steps, and every one of those steps is due to the existence of another shell. So all you need to worry about is the 6 downward steps, you don't have to do any subtraction afterwards. And same goes for the third part.

Does that make any sense?

BvU said:
Hello kilnvzol, welcome to PF :smile: !

Did you check the scale factor ##\Phi_S## ?

Did I need to multiply (5/6) by (2E5)(8.85E-12)?
Shadrach Hepner said:
My guess is that you got the first part right but not the other two? The first part seems good, but then you go and start subtracting things. You were correct in counting the number of steps the flux increased immediately outside of the point charge, that was good. But then you notice that the flux drops by 6 steps, and every one of those steps is due to the existence of another shell. So all you need to worry about is the 6 downward steps, you don't have to do any subtraction afterwards. And same goes for the third part.

Does that make any sense?

I got the first part wrong too.
So its just (6E5)(8.85E-12) without the subtraction?

If five divisions represent ##6 \times 10^5\ ##Nm2/C, how much is two divisions ? And six ? And ten ?

BvU said:
If five divisions represent ##6 \times 10^5\ ##Nm2/C, how much is two divisions ? And six ? And ten ?
Oh, I didn't even catch that. Yeah, kilnvzol, that would be your reason for getting the first part wrong.
kilnvzol said:
I got the first part wrong too.
So its just (6E5)(8.85E-12) without the subtraction?
Almost, you would still have to account for the value that is actually assumed by one tick mark. But you're right on removing the subtraction. Does it actually make sense why that is?

I got it! I forgot to multiply in the scale. XD

Thanks guys! :smile:

Related to Charge Distribution in Nonconducting Shell System

What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a quantity through a surface. In physics, it is often used to describe the flow of a vector field through a surface.

How is flux calculated?

The flux through a surface is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector of the surface, and then integrating this product over the surface. This calculation is represented by the integral of the dot product, also known as the surface integral.

What is a nonconducting shell?

A nonconducting shell is a hollow object made of a material that does not allow electric charges to flow through it. This means that it acts as an insulator, preventing the flow of electricity.

How does a nonconducting shell affect electric flux?

A nonconducting shell can affect electric flux by acting as a barrier to electric fields. If there is an electric field inside the shell, the flux through the shell will be zero. However, if there is an electric field outside the shell, the flux through the shell will be non-zero.

What is the significance of flux through a nonconducting shell?

The flux through a nonconducting shell can provide information about the electric field inside and outside the shell. It can also be used to calculate the total charge enclosed by the shell, as well as the electric potential on its surface.