Charge Dropping on Rindler Horizon: Coulomb Force Effects?

In summary, the Rindler horizon is not a physical location and cannot have a spot where electrons can be dropped. The question about the charge of the spot increasing without limit does not make sense in this scenario. If we consider an accelerating rocket and dropped electrons, a momentarily co-moving and co-located inertial observer will observe many electrons with Lorentz-contracted electric fields. However, the Coulomb force will not be significantly contracted and the electrons will be spread out over space, resulting in weaker fields. To solve this problem, it is more useful to work with ordinary Minkowski coordinates and then transform the results into Rindler coordinates afterwards.
jartsa
Let's say I keep on dropping electrons on one spot of a Rindler horizon. Does the charge of the spot increase without a limit?

When the charge of the spot is very large, does the spot exert a Coulomb force on the electron I'm about to drop, causing the electron to start moving away from the spot, when I let go of the electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
jartsa said:
Let's say I keep on dropping electrons on one spot of a Rindler horizon.

You can't. The Rindler horizon is not a "place in space" that you can pick out a spot on. Draw a spacetime diagram of this scenario and you will see why.

I'm not sure how to interpret the question, the closest I can come is to imagining a line-charge in flat Minkowskii space with some unspecified force holding it together. Perhaps the charges are implanted in a solid dielectric. Then we can ask how the line-charge looks to an accelerating observer. In Rindler time, the charge will not reach the event horizon at a finite value of the Rindler time coordinate, because the Rindler coordinates don't cover all of space-time.

I'll answer myself, then people can correct.

I'm in an accelerating rocket dropping electrons.

A momentarily co-moving and co-located inertial observer says there are many fast moving dropped electrons nearby, with Lorentz-contracted electric fields.

So there are many electrons nearby, but no large Coulomb-force.

jartsa said:
I'm in an accelerating rocket dropping electrons.

A momentarily co-moving and co-located inertial observer says there are many fast moving dropped electrons nearby, with Lorentz-contracted electric fields.

No, he doesn't. He says there's one electron that's at rest relative to him (the one that was dropped at the instant he is co-moving with the accelerating rocket), another just behind him that's moving backwards a little bit relative to him, another a bit further behind him that's moving backwards a little faster, etc., etc. The Coulomb fields of these electrons are not significantly contracted.

jartsa said:
So there are many electrons nearby, but no large Coulomb-force.

No; there are many electrons spread all over space behind the momentarily co-moving and co-located inertial observer, because they were all launched with different velocities relative to that observer and at different times in the past. So their Coulomb fields are at varying distances from the observer; by the time we get to electrons moving near the speed of light relative to that observer, they are also very far away, so their fields are much weaker even apart from Lorentz contraction.

Once again, drawing a spacetime diagram of the scenario will make all this obvious.

Another way of thinking about this problem:

It is the exact same flat Minkowski spacetime whether you use Rindler coordinates or ordinary Minkowski x,y,z,t coordinates to do your calculations, just as the surface of a plane and all the shapes drawn on it are the same whether you're using Cartesian or polar coordinates. The only reason to use one coordinate system instead of another for a particular problem is that you always want to choose the coordinate system to make the problem easy.

Now, Rindler coordinates are great for working out what the person accelerating in the spaceship observes, but not so great for figuring out how the electrons dropped from the spaceship behave So what you do is work out the behavior of the electrons using the ordinary Cartesian coordinates of an observer who is not accelerating... And then transform that result into Rindler coordinates when you're done if you want to.

Related to Charge Dropping on Rindler Horizon: Coulomb Force Effects?

1. What is the Rindler horizon and how does it relate to charge dropping?

The Rindler horizon is a boundary in spacetime that separates regions of accelerating reference frames from those that are not accelerating. In the context of charge dropping, it refers to a scenario where a charged particle is dropped towards a black hole and crosses the Rindler horizon. As the particle accelerates towards the horizon, it experiences a force known as the Coulomb force, which affects its motion.

2. What is the Coulomb force and how does it affect charge dropping on the Rindler horizon?

The Coulomb force is an attractive or repulsive force between two charged particles. In the case of charge dropping on the Rindler horizon, the Coulomb force acts on the charged particle as it crosses the horizon. This force can either accelerate or decelerate the particle, depending on the direction of the force and the charge of the particle.

3. How does the strength of the Coulomb force change as a charged particle approaches the Rindler horizon?

The strength of the Coulomb force increases as the charged particle approaches the Rindler horizon. This is because the gravitational field near the horizon is stronger, which in turn affects the electric field and increases the magnitude of the Coulomb force. Thus, the closer the particle gets to the horizon, the stronger the Coulomb force becomes.

4. Can the Coulomb force have different effects on positively and negatively charged particles dropped on the Rindler horizon?

Yes, the Coulomb force can have different effects on positively and negatively charged particles dropped on the Rindler horizon. This is due to the fact that the direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle. For a positively charged particle, the Coulomb force will act in the same direction as its motion, causing it to accelerate. On the other hand, a negatively charged particle will experience a force in the opposite direction, slowing it down.

5. How does the Coulomb force affect the trajectory of a charged particle dropped on the Rindler horizon?

The Coulomb force can significantly alter the trajectory of a charged particle dropped on the Rindler horizon. As the particle crosses the horizon, it may experience a sudden change in its direction due to the force acting on it. This change in trajectory can also depend on the strength and direction of the force, as well as the initial velocity of the particle. These factors make the motion of a charged particle on the Rindler horizon complex and challenging to predict.