Charge on a bead given the Electric Potential

In summary, the problem given is to find the charge on a 1.80-diameter positively charged glass bead, given a potential difference of 470 between a point 1.80 from the bead and a point 4.00 from the bead. The suggested approach is to use the equation V=E*ds to find the electric field, and then solve for the charge using the general equation E=kq/r^2. The measurements are all in millimeters. An alternate approach suggested is to use the equation PDiff=q/r_1-q/r_2 to find the charge. The person asking for help is unable to get the numbers to work and is seeking clarification on their approach.
julianne
I currently have this problem for homework:

A 1.80 -diameter glass bead is positively charged. The potential difference between a point 1.80 from the bead and a point 4.00 from the bead is 470 . What is the charge on the bead?

And I cannot seam to get it. First I thought that I should relate the fact that V=E*ds to find electric field and then solve for the charge with teh general equation E=kq/r^2.

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track because I can't get the numbers to work.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh...and the measurements are all in milimeters!

Use PDiff=q/r_1-q/r_2.

Related to Charge on a bead given the Electric Potential

1. What is the definition of electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit of electric charge that is present at a certain point in an electric field. It is a measure of the work that would be required to move a unit of electric charge from a reference point to a specific location within the field.

2. How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured in units of volts (V) and is typically represented by the symbol "V". It can be measured using an instrument called a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and charge?

The relationship between electric potential and charge is that the electric potential is directly proportional to the amount of charge present. This means that as the charge increases, so does the electric potential.

4. Can the charge on a bead be determined from the electric potential?

Yes, the charge on a bead can be determined from the electric potential by using the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the electric potential. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the charge, given the capacitance and electric potential.

5. How does the charge on a bead affect the electric potential?

The charge on a bead affects the electric potential by changing the strength of the electric field at that point. As the charge on the bead increases, the electric potential also increases, resulting in a stronger electric field and a higher potential energy per unit charge.