Charge Rod Question: Electric Field at Point

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral for the magnitude of the electric field at a point on the x-axis, a distance "a" away from a uniformly charged rod of length "L". The person has already derived an expression for the infinitesimal charges that make up the rod, and used it in their equation for the field. However, they are unsure about how to represent the distance between the point charges and the point they are measuring. They eventually found the answer elsewhere.
daveo123
I've been having trouble with this one for a while, and I know where I'm stuck. Here's the problem:

There's a uniformly charged rod of length "L" along the x axis. There is also a point on the x-axis that is a distance of "a" away from the end of the rod. So the whole thing looks kind of like this. ----- o
I need to find the integral that will give me the magnitude of the electric field at that point. I started by using the charge density to come up with an expression for the infinitly small point charges that make up the rod. I got Q/L dx. So I put that into my equation for the field, dE, and I got

dE =k(Q/L dx) / r squared

where k is the constant from coulomb's law and r is the distance between each dx and the point I'm looking at. If the rest of this equation is correct (and I'm not sure that it is) my problem comes from finding an expression for r. The question asks me to "show with integration" that the field at the point is given by kq/a(a+L). I'm not sure how to represent the distance from the point charges to the point in the field that I'm measuring.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found the answer elsewhere on the forum

Firstly, great job on starting with the charge density and using Coulomb's law to derive an expression for the infinitesimal electric field at a point on the x-axis. Your approach is correct. Now, to find the expression for the distance r, you can use the Pythagorean theorem.

Let's say the distance between each infinitesimal charge element (dx) and the point on the x-axis is represented by x. Then, the distance r can be represented by the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides x and a. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we get r = √(x^2 + a^2).

Now, to find the total electric field at the point, we need to integrate the infinitesimal electric field expression over the length of the rod. This can be represented as:

E = ∫dE = ∫k(Q/L dx) / (√(x^2 + a^2))^2

= k(Q/L) ∫dx / (x^2 + a^2)

= k(Q/L) [1/a tan^-1(x/a)] from 0 to L

= k(Q/L) [tan^-1((L+a)/a) - tan^-1(a/a)]

= k(Q/L) (π/2 - 0)

= k(Q/L) (π/2)

= kQ/2L

= kq/a(a+L)

Therefore, the electric field at the point on the x-axis is given by kq/a(a+L). I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Charge Rod Question: Electric Field at Point

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that an electric charge experiences in a given point in space. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electric field at a point calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force on a small positive test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented by the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and charge?

The electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge that produces it. This means that as the charge increases, the electric field also increases. However, the direction of the electric field depends on the sign of the charge.

4. How does distance affect the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

5. What is the significance of the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point helps us understand the electric forces and interactions between charges. It also plays a crucial role in various technological applications such as capacitors, electric motors, and generators.