Charge & Valency of Chemistry Formulas: Explained

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, there are some patterns in the charges and valencies of certain elements, such as oxygen always having a charge of -2. However, other elements like carbon can have multiple stable valences. In cases where there are no clear patterns, it is best to memorize the formulas or look them up. When it comes to bonding, elements like nitrogen and oxygen will bond in a way that allows them to achieve a full outer shell of electrons. Molecules with lone electrons can be highly reactive and are called radicals.
markosheehan
i am confused with charge and valency of some formula.

for carbon dioxide CO oxygen has a charge of -2 and carbon has a charge of +2. I thought though carbon is in 4 so its charge should be +/- 4.for nitrogen monoxide NO oxygen has a charge of 2- usually and nitrogen usually has a charge of -3 so this makes no sense to me as the charge is supposed to balance of the compound and both atoms want to gain electrons which also does not make sense to me.

i have the same problems with dinitrogen tetroxide, nitrogen dioxide,sulfur dioxide, sulphur trioxide, and phosphorous(v) chloride. how are you supposed to know the formula and for these if they all have random charges and do not follow the rules? do you just learn them off?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
i am confused with charge and valency of some formula.

for carbon dioxide CO oxygen has a charge of -2 and carbon has a charge of +2. I thought though carbon is in 4 so its charge should be +/- 4.for nitrogen monoxide NO oxygen has a charge of 2- usually and nitrogen usually has a charge of -3 so this makes no sense to me as the charge is supposed to balance of the compound and both atoms want to gain electrons which also does not make sense to me.

i have the same problems with dinitrogen tetroxide, nitrogen dioxide,sulfur dioxide, sulphur trioxide, and phosphorous(v) chloride. how are you supposed to know the formula and for these if they all have random charges and do not follow the rules? do you just learn them off?

Yes. Basically you just learn them off, or look them up.

There are some patterns though.
Oxygen always has -2 in practice.
But many other elements have multiple valences in which they have a stable bond.
For instance C is known to have +2 and +4 as stable valences.
Consequently both CO and CO2 are stable.

ok thanks. could you explain the bonding in NO. both of these elements want to gain different numbers of electrons so how do they bond to each other.

Nitrogen is in group 5, meaning it has 5 electrons in its outermost shell. Oxigen is in group 6 and 'stronger'. So oxigen completes the octet in its outer shell.
A bar or 2 dots close together represent a pair of 2 electrons that is somewhat stable.
A loose dot indicates a single electron, which is highly reactive - it wants to make a pair.
Molecules with a loose electron are called radicals, and they won't exist long given the opportunity to bind another molecule.

thanks

Related to Charge & Valency of Chemistry Formulas: Explained

1. What is charge and valency in chemistry?

Charge and valency are terms used to describe the electrical properties of atoms and molecules. Charge refers to the electrical charge of an atom, which can be positive, negative, or neutral. Valency is a measure of an atom's ability to form chemical bonds with other atoms, and is determined by the number of electrons in its outermost energy level.

2. How is charge and valency determined in a chemical formula?

In a chemical formula, the charge and valency of an atom can be determined by its position in the periodic table. Elements in the same group have similar valencies, while the charge is determined by the number of protons and electrons in an atom. For example, an element in group 1 of the periodic table will have a valency of +1 and a charge of +1, while an element in group 17 will have a valency of -1 and a charge of -1.

3. What is the difference between charge and oxidation state?

Charge and oxidation state are related but distinct concepts. Charge refers to the actual number of protons and electrons in an atom, while oxidation state is a measure of the hypothetical charge an atom would have if all of its bonds were purely ionic. Oxidation states can be positive, negative, or zero, while charge is always a whole number.

4. How does charge and valency affect chemical reactions?

The charge and valency of atoms in a molecule determine how they will react with other atoms. Atoms with a positive charge will be attracted to atoms with a negative charge, while atoms with a higher valency will be more likely to bond with other atoms. These properties help to determine the overall structure and properties of a molecule, and play a crucial role in chemical reactions.

5. Can the charge and valency of an element change?

The charge and valency of an element can change under certain conditions. For example, some elements can form ions by gaining or losing electrons, resulting in a change in their charge. Additionally, the valency of an element may change depending on the chemical environment it is in. However, the charge and valency of an element are typically consistent and can be predicted based on its position in the periodic table.