Charged Beads released, find maximum speed.

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum speed and acceleration of two charged beads, A and B, held 12.3 cm apart and released. Bead A has a mass of 12.5 g and a charge of -7.74 nC, while Bead B has a mass of 28.1 g and a charge of -10.7 nC. The potential energy of the system is found to be 6.06 x 10^-6 J, but the calculation for the component of potential received by each bead is unclear. The direction of the force between the beads is towards each other, and the maximum force is the force they apply to each other when first released. It is clarified that negative charges will
Potato21

Homework Statement

Bead A has a mass of 12.5 g and a charge of -7.74 nC. Bead B has a mass of 28.1 g and a charge of -10.7 nC. The beads are held 12.3 cm apart (measured between their centers) and released. What maximum speed is acheived by each bead? (Enter your answer for Bead A first.)

Homework Equations

U=Kq1q2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the potential energy of the system as 6.06 x 10^-6 J but I don't know how to solve for the component of the potential that each bead would receive. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I figured it out. But now I need to use this same info to find maximum acceleration which is confusing me as it would be a non-constant acceleration that would peak when they were closest together. However, when calculating force between them I'm having trouble understanding how to calculate it as when the distance between the beads approaches zero, does the force not approach infinity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the direction of the force that's operating on each bead?

gneill said:
What's the direction of the force that's operating on each bead?

Towards the other bead. I got the correct answer by using the force they apply to each other when first released but I'm still confused as to why that's the maximum force. Would the force not get stronger the closer they get together?

So, you're saying that two negative charges will attract?

Oops, ok that explains it lol. Need to read that more carefully next time. Thanks!

Related to Charged Beads released, find maximum speed.

What are charged beads and how are they released to find maximum speed?

Charged beads are small objects that have an electric charge. They are typically released by applying a force, such as shaking or pulling, to overcome the adhesive forces holding them in place.

How does the maximum speed of charged beads relate to their electric charge?

The maximum speed of charged beads is directly proportional to their electric charge. This means that the greater the electric charge of the beads, the faster they will move when released.

What factors can affect the maximum speed of charged beads?

The maximum speed of charged beads can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the electric field, the distance between the beads and the source of the electric charge, and the size and shape of the beads.

Can the maximum speed of charged beads be calculated?

Yes, the maximum speed of charged beads can be calculated using the equation v = E/q, where v is the maximum speed, E is the electric field strength, and q is the electric charge of the beads.

How can the maximum speed of charged beads be measured?

The maximum speed of charged beads can be measured using a high-speed camera or by timing how long it takes for the beads to travel a certain distance. The distance and time can then be used to calculate the speed using the equation v = d/t.