Charged coaxial cable - Charge distribution?

In summary, the problem involves an infinitely long wire with radius r1 and linear charge density +u, and a coaxial conducting cylinder with radii r2 and r3 and linear charge density +2u. The aim is to find the electric field at various points away from the centre, including r<r1, r1<r<r2, r2<r<r3, and r>3. The charges are distributed on the outer surface of the central wire (at r=r1), the inner surface of the conducting cylinder (at r=r2), and the outer surface of the cylinder (at r=r3), with linear charge densities of +u, -u, and +3u respectively.
quanticism

Homework Statement

Say we have an infinitely long wire with radius r1 with a linear charge density +u and we have a coaxial conducting cylinder with radius r2->r3 and a linear charge density of +2u.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3419/coaxialcable.png"

Now the overall aim of the question is to find the electric field at various points away from the centre.

ie. r<r1, r1<r<r2, r2<r<r3, r>3

2. The attempt at a solution

But before I can do that, I need to know how the charges are distributed in the two conductors.

Now we know that a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium has these properties:

1) The electric field is zero everywhere inside the conductor (whether hollow or solid)

2)If the conductor is isolated and carries a charge, the charge resides on the surface.

I can't seem to visualise how the charges will distribute. My initial impression was that it would do something like this but now I'm not too sure.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3233/chargedistribution.png"

Any nudges in the right direction would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand how the charges distribute now.

The central wire must have the net charge distributed on the outer surface (at r=r1). So the linear charge density along this surface is +u.

The inner surface of the conducting cylinder (r=r2) must have a linear charge distribution of -u. This is to ensure that the electric field from r2->r3 is zero (shown using Gauss's Law).

The question said the conducting cylinder had a linear charge density of +2u so that means the outer surface of the cylinder (r=r3) has a linear charge density of +3u.

Is this correct?

Yes.

ehild

FAQ: Charged coaxial cable - Charge distribution?

1. What is a charged coaxial cable?

A charged coaxial cable is a type of cable used to transmit electrical energy or signals. It consists of a central wire surrounded by a cylindrical outer conductor, with an insulating material in between. The outer conductor is typically grounded, while the central wire carries the charge.

2. How is the charge distributed in a charged coaxial cable?

The charge is distributed evenly along the length of the central wire in a charged coaxial cable. This is due to the cylindrical symmetry of the cable, which ensures that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface of the central wire at all points.

3. What factors affect the charge distribution in a charged coaxial cable?

The charge distribution in a charged coaxial cable is mainly affected by the potential difference between the two ends of the cable and the capacitance per unit length. The resistance and inductance of the cable also play a role in determining the charge distribution.

4. Can the charge distribution in a charged coaxial cable be changed?

Yes, the charge distribution in a charged coaxial cable can be changed by altering the potential difference between the two ends of the cable or by changing the capacitance per unit length. This can be achieved by adjusting the voltage or by adding or removing insulating material between the central wire and the outer conductor.

5. What are the applications of a charged coaxial cable?

Charged coaxial cables have various applications in scientific research, telecommunications, and power transmission. They are commonly used in high-speed data transfer, satellite communications, and in the medical field for imaging and sensing purposes. They are also used in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.

Back