Charging Circuit: How a Capacitor Gets 330V from 1.5V Battery

In summary: Any flourescent lamp has a ballast that does this because the gasneeds high voltage to arc. Buy one and take it apart and you can... cost = $3 - 6 or so.
n1caboose
Hello, would anybody please tell me how a charging circuit works, such as one for a capacitor in a disposable camera...how can the 1.5V battery fully charge a 330V capacitor? I believe transformers are involved to kick up the voltage, but how is DC converted to AC for that? I'd also like to know the components I would need to make my own rugged version of a charger like this...

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
n1caboose said:
Hello, would anybody please tell me how a charging circuit works, such as one for a capacitor in a disposable camera...how can the 1.5V battery fully charge a 330V capacitor? I believe transformers are involved to kick up the voltage, but how is DC converted to AC for that? I'd also like to know the components I would need to make my own rugged version of a charger like this...

Thank you!

If you don't know how the circuit works, I'm not sure you should be trying to build one that boosts up to several 100s of volts... What do you intend to do with the circuit?

You can learn more about these kinds of circuits by using the search terms "DC-DC Converter", "Boost Converter" and "Flyback Converter". You can search at wikipedia or National Semiconductor or Maxim Semiconductor, or just with Google.

n1caboose said:

Thank you!
You are right.
A transformer provides the step up ratio.But transformers only pass AC signals.
So a transisitor driven by an oscillator "chops" the dc to make quasi-square waves
that then are fed into the xformer.

Any flourescent lamp has a ballast that does this because the gas
needs high voltage to arc. Buy one and take it apart and you can see
the components. Cost = $3 - 6 or so.

Not exactly true according to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Larger tubes may need a step up, but they don't need "high voltage" -- you may be thinking of "neon" sign tubes. The main task of the ballast is to limit the current, thus the name "ballast".

schip666! said:
Not exactly true according to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Larger tubes may need a step up, but they don't need "high voltage" -- you may be thinking of "neon" sign tubes. The main task of the ballast is to limit the current, thus the name "ballast".

Au contraire ...
High voltage is officially reached at 50 volts.
That my not seem high to many, but the power industry marks it so.
I worked in high energy physics for many years and I know this to be true.
The lamp operating point will more often than not have a drop grater than 50 volts.
How do i know that ? I designed one of the first electronic ballasts at
Westinghouse for an HID lamp back in 1983.

Furthermore, even with a starting gas, the initial strike voltage for a gas tube
will be typically around 1.5 to 2.5 Kilovolts. That is clearly high voltage.

To the OP ... here is a link where you can see a non magnetic electronic ballast
and its components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Cheers

berkeman said:
If you don't know how the circuit works, I'm not sure you should be trying to build one that boosts up to several 100s of volts... What do you intend to do with the circuit?

I made a coilgun out of a disposable camera circuitboard hooked up to five 330V 80uF caps found in the cameras. It fires a nail at a very low speed (not enough to penetrate a paper towel), but I was not going for anything crazy since this was really the first electrical project I've ever conducted...

I used the same AA battery to charge the capacitor bank and that took a while - I wanted to speed that up or at least be able to demonstrate how it works.

You can learn more about these kinds of circuits by using the search terms "DC-DC Converter", "Boost Converter" and "Flyback Converter". You can search at wikipedia or National Semiconductor or Maxim Semiconductor, or just with Google.

Thank you, these were helpful.

paulfr said:
You are right.
A transformer provides the step up ratio.But transformers only pass AC signals.
So a transisitor driven by an oscillator "chops" the dc to make quasi-square waves
that then are fed into the xformer.

Thanks a lot, I understand how this works now and took apart a lamp I found lying around. Had some extras at home.

I designed one of the first electronic ballasts at
Westinghouse for an HID lamp back in 1983.

And that's pretty damn cool.

paulfr said:
Au contraire ...
High voltage is officially reached at 50 volts.
That my not seem high to many, but the power industry marks it so.

Furthermore, even with a starting gas, the initial strike voltage for a gas tube
will be typically around 1.5 to 2.5 Kilovolts. That is clearly high voltage.

Ah, OK. I think of "high voltage" as above your typical mains voltage... say 100's, not 50. This is something I've not worked with, how is the strike voltage generated? I thought it was the little starter thingie in your typical home fluorescent bulb, and that the ballast was there simply to add a load for AC current limit. It appears from the wiki page that ballasts for larger tubes can also be step up xfmrs. So what's the actual operating voltage across the range of sizes then?

FAQ: Charging Circuit: How a Capacitor Gets 330V from 1.5V Battery

1. How does a capacitor charge from a 1.5V battery?

A capacitor charges by storing electrical energy in the form of an electric field between two conductive plates. When connected to a 1.5V battery, the capacitor's plates become positively and negatively charged, creating an electric field that allows it to store energy.

2. What is the purpose of a charging circuit?

The purpose of a charging circuit is to regulate the flow of electricity from a power source, such as a battery, to a capacitor. It ensures that the capacitor charges at a safe and steady rate, preventing damage to the capacitor and other components.

3. How does a charging circuit convert 1.5V to 330V?

A charging circuit uses a step-up transformer to convert the low voltage from the 1.5V battery to a higher voltage, such as 330V. This is achieved by using a coil with a large number of turns, which amplifies the voltage through electromagnetic induction.

4. Why is it important to have a charging circuit for a capacitor?

A charging circuit is important for a capacitor because it controls the rate at which the capacitor charges. Without a charging circuit, the capacitor could charge too quickly and potentially overheat or explode, causing damage to the circuit or even injury to the user.

5. Can a capacitor be charged from any type of battery?

Yes, a capacitor can be charged from any type of battery as long as the voltage of the battery is lower than the maximum voltage rating of the capacitor. It is important to use a charging circuit to ensure that the capacitor does not charge too quickly and to prevent potential damage.