Check Fluid Flow Through Pipe: Calculate Pressure of P1

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid Pipe
In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of momentum equation and the force due to pressure at different positions in a control volume. The force at position 2 is negative in the x direction because it points away from the pipe, while the force at position 1 is positive because it points into the pipe. This can also be understood by placing all terms associated with input on one side of the equation and all terms describing exiting flow on the other side, keeping the coordinate system in mind.
pyroknife
Please see attached.

I already got the answer verified for part a which is v1=1.5 m/s and mass flow rate=23.1 kg/s

For part b, I'd like someone to check my answer and answer a question.

Sum of forces in the x direction ƩFx=m'out * V2 - m'in * V1
m'=mass flow rate
V=velocity

For the left hand side of the equation gives:
ƩFx=-Rx + P1*A1 - P2*A2*cos(50)

Can someone explain why the force due to the pressure @ 2 causes a negative force in the x direction?

=-3880+P1*pi*(.07^2) - 199*pi(.035^2)cos50
I think my professor said that we need to use the gauge pressure in this conservation of momentum equation, thus P2=300-101=199kPa

Fort the right hand side of the equation:
density*V2*A2*cos(50)*V2 - density*V1*A1*V1=1000*6*PI*(.035^2)*COS(50)*6-1000*1.5*pi*(.07^2)*1.5

P1=256 kPa (gage pressure)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
"Can someone explain why the force due to the pressure @ 2 causes a negative force in the x direction?"

If you draw a control volume around the section of pipe, the pressure on the control volume at position 2 where fluid leaves creates a force that points to the left (and down) which is the negative x direction. At position 1 where the fluid enters the control volume, the force due to the pressure is to the right which would be positive.

I tried drawing the control volume, but I'm still not seeing why one would be positive and one would be negative.

Can I think of it this way:
@1 The arrow points into the pipe,thus (+) force.
@2 the arrow points away from the pipe, thus (-) force.

pyroknife said:
I tried drawing the control volume, but I'm still not seeing why one would be positive and one would be negative.

Can I think of it this way:
@1 The arrow points into the pipe,thus (+) force.
@2 the arrow points away from the pipe, thus (-) force.

One way to keep it straight with respect to the coordinate system chosen (one is already assigned in this problem) is to put all terms associated with input on one side of the equation. They will all be positive if the flow is in the same direction of the coordinate system. Put all the terms describing the exiting flow on the other side of the equals mark keeping the coordinate system in mind. That makes the pressure and velocity terms negative when brought across the equals mark.

I would first like to commend you for showing your work and explaining your thought process. This demonstrates a thorough understanding of the problem and your calculations.

To answer your question about the negative force due to pressure at P2, this is because pressure acts in all directions, including the x direction. In this case, the pressure at P2 is acting in the opposite direction of the flow, resulting in a negative force in the x direction. This can be seen in the equation you provided, where the pressure at P2 is subtracted from the sum of forces in the x direction.

As for your calculation and use of gauge pressure, it is correct to use gauge pressure in this equation. Gauge pressure is the pressure measured above atmospheric pressure, which is what is needed in this scenario where the fluid is flowing through a closed pipe. Your final answer of 256 kPa for P1 is also correct.

Overall, your approach and calculations seem to be accurate and well thought out. Great job!

Related to Check Fluid Flow Through Pipe: Calculate Pressure of P1

1. What is the purpose of calculating the pressure of P1 in fluid flow through a pipe?

Calculating the pressure of P1 is important in determining the efficiency and performance of a fluid flow system. It helps to ensure that the fluid is flowing at the desired rate and pressure to prevent any potential damage or inefficiencies.

2. How do you calculate the pressure of P1 in a pipe?

The pressure of P1 can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and elevation at different points in the pipe. Other factors such as pipe diameter and frictional losses may also need to be considered in the calculation.

3. What units are typically used to measure the pressure of P1?

The pressure of P1 is usually measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi), kilopascals (kPa), or bar. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to ensure accurate results.

4. How does the pressure of P1 affect the overall fluid flow in a pipe?

The pressure of P1 plays a crucial role in determining the overall fluid flow in a pipe. It affects the flow rate, velocity, and direction of the fluid, as well as the amount of energy required to move the fluid through the system. Changes in P1 can cause disruptions in the flow and impact the performance of the system.

5. What are some common factors that can affect the pressure of P1 in fluid flow through a pipe?

Some common factors that can affect the pressure of P1 include changes in pipe diameter, flow rate, fluid viscosity, and obstructions in the pipe. Other factors such as temperature, fluid density, and elevation differences can also impact the pressure of P1. It is important to consider all of these factors in order to accurately calculate the pressure and ensure efficient fluid flow through the pipe.