Checking My Work: Solving for Applied Force in Friction Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 22kg mass being slid up an incline of 71 degrees with a constant velocity. The applied force is being determined using the formulas for gravity, parallel force, and friction. However, the formula for friction is incorrect and should be mu times the normal force, which results in a frictional force of 20.3N. The velocity is constant, so the pushing force up the incline must be balanced by the forces down the incline. The calculations for the force applied, using the incorrect formula for friction, result in 473.81N.
mohlam12
hey everybody, i have an easy problem in friction, i just want to make sure if what i did is right; here is the problem:
A 22kg mass is slid up an incline of 71degree to the horizontal at constant velocity. If mu=.29, what is the applied force?

here is what i did:

Fgravity = 22*9.8*cos(71) = 70.19
Fparallel = 22.9.8*sin(71) = 203.85
Ffriction = 70.19/.26 = 269.96
Fapplied = 269.96+203.85 = 473.81 N

do u think that is right (not the calculations, but the formulas i used) ? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. No.

What is it that you are calling "Fgravity"?

The force of gravity is "weight" which is "mg." The parallel component of weight that you have is correct, but the frictional force is wrong.

Friction is "mu" times the normal force. Here, the normal force balances the perpendicular compnent of the weight, so friction is
f = (0.29)(22kg)(9.8N/kg)cos71 = 20.3 N

since the velocity is constant, then the pushing force "up" the incline is balanced by the two forces "down" the incline. It appears that this part of the concept you have correct.

To second Chi Meson, the frictional force is mu times the normal force, not normal force divided by mu!

Related to Checking My Work: Solving for Applied Force in Friction Problem

1. How do I determine the applied force in a friction problem?

To determine the applied force in a friction problem, you need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). First, calculate the mass of the object in the problem. Then, use the given acceleration and plug them into the formula to solve for the applied force.

2. What is the role of friction in this problem?

Friction is the force that acts between two surfaces in contact and resists their relative motion. In this problem, friction is necessary to determine the applied force, as it is one of the forces acting upon the object in the problem.

3. How do I account for the direction of the applied force?

The direction of the applied force is important to consider in the problem. If the applied force is in the same direction as the acceleration, it will be a positive value. If the applied force is in the opposite direction of the acceleration, it will be a negative value. Make sure to include the correct sign in your calculation.

4. What units should I use for the applied force?

The standard unit for force is Newtons (N). However, you may also see force expressed in other units such as pounds (lbs) or dynes (dyn). Make sure to use the appropriate unit for the given problem and convert if necessary.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for applied force in a friction problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the friction force in the calculation. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the applied force and use the correct units. Another mistake to avoid is using the wrong formula or not properly converting units. Double check your work and make sure it makes sense intuitively.

Back