Chem Eng Masters: Major for Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech?

• Thread starter victoriari
  • Start date
In summary, if you want to pursue a masters in chemical engineering, it is better to choose a major/minor (chemistry and physics) or major/minor (chemistry and mechanics) to pursue.
victoriari
TL;DR Summary: Is it better to choose a major/minor (chemistry and physics) or major/minor (chemistry and mechanics) to pursue a masters in chemical engineering in the future?

Hi
So I just finished my first year of uni and I was studying materials science. Since it is a French uni system it's a bit different but now I have to choose what I will study in my second year. My options are: double major (chemistry and physics), major/minor (chemistry and physics), major/minor (chemistry and mechanics) and just chemistry. As I want to do my masters in chemical engineering I found myself wondering which one of those options would be the most suitable for my future studies. I would be really grateful for any advice, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am just making a wild guess, but if your advanced-level goal is Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering, then a undergraduate degree choice of major should be Chemical Engineering.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
If you are restricted to just those two choices you listed, still a guess would be major Chemistry + minor Mechanical (assuming you mean "Mechanical Engineering"). Reasoning is as chemical engineer, you may need to put some attention on the handling and movement of different kinds of solid materials. Again, I am only guessing that Mechanical Engineering can focus your education better than Physics; but really all this depends on what the finer choices are available to you.

Likes osilmag
This sounds like a good question for an undergraduate advisor at your university. They will be a lot more familiar with things like specific courses in each program, workloads, graduate school requirements in your system, where graduates of each program end up going, etc.

• Informative
Likes vela, Vanadium 50, gmax137 and 2 others
symbolipoint said:
If you are restricted to just those two choices you listed, still a guess would be major Chemistry + minor Mechanical (assuming you mean "Mechanical Engineering"). Reasoning is as chemical engineer, you may need to put some attention on the handling and movement of different kinds of solid materials.
<<Emphasis added.>> I just want to point out that fluid mechanics is a core subject in standard undergraduate mechanical engineering programs as well.

But I agree with the advice to check with a local undergraduate advisor, since the OP is in the French university system, and, for whatever reason, is not majoring in chemical engineering as an undergrad.

Related to Chem Eng Masters: Major for Chemistry/Phys or Chem/Mech?

What is the difference between a Chemistry/Physics major and a Chemical/Mechanical Engineering major?

A Chemistry/Physics major focuses on the fundamental principles of chemistry and physics, including molecular interactions, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. In contrast, a Chemical/Mechanical Engineering major applies these principles to design, develop, and optimize processes and machinery for industrial applications. Engineering programs are more application-oriented and include coursework in process design, materials science, and systems engineering.

Which major offers better career prospects: Chemistry/Physics or Chemical/Mechanical Engineering?

Both majors offer strong career prospects, but they lead to different types of jobs. Chemical/Mechanical Engineering majors typically have higher starting salaries and more direct pathways into industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and manufacturing. Chemistry/Physics majors may pursue careers in research, academia, or specialized fields like forensic science or environmental science. The choice depends on your career goals and interests.

Can I switch from a Chemistry/Physics major to a Chemical/Mechanical Engineering major during my studies?

Switching from a Chemistry/Physics major to a Chemical/Mechanical Engineering major is possible but may require additional coursework to meet the engineering program's prerequisites. This could extend the time needed to complete your degree. It's advisable to consult with academic advisors from both departments to understand the specific requirements and implications of such a switch.

What kind of research opportunities are available for Chemical/Mechanical Engineering majors compared to Chemistry/Physics majors?

Chemical/Mechanical Engineering majors often engage in research focused on practical applications, such as developing new materials, optimizing industrial processes, or improving energy efficiency. Chemistry/Physics majors may participate in more fundamental research, exploring theoretical concepts, conducting experiments in physical chemistry, or studying the properties of matter. Both fields offer robust research opportunities, but the nature of the research will differ.

How do the curriculums of Chemistry/Physics majors and Chemical/Mechanical Engineering majors differ?

The curriculum for Chemistry/Physics majors typically includes courses in organic and inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, quantum mechanics, and advanced physics topics. In contrast, Chemical/Mechanical Engineering majors will take courses in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, materials science, process engineering, and systems design. Engineering programs also often include hands-on lab work, internships, and capstone projects focused on real-world applications.