Chemical Amount: Hydrogen & Oxygen Ratio?

• Thread starter chops369
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the question is asking for the amount of oxygen needed to have the same number of atoms as in 1 gram of hydrogen gas. The answer is 16 grams because the mass of an oxygen atom is 16 times that of a hydrogen atom. This is proportional to the number of atoms, not the weight. In the example with marbles, 1 kg of smaller marbles would have the same number of marbles as a larger marble that is 16 times heavier. Therefore, the amount of larger marbles needed to have the same number as 1 kg of smaller marbles would be 16 kg.
chops369
Chemical Amount??

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help with the whole concept of chemical amount. This question was posed during my intro chem lecture (assume a hydrogen atom's mass is 1 amu, and an oxygen atom's mass is 16 amu): How much oxygen does one need, to have the same number of oxygen atoms as there are hydrogen atoms in one gram of hydrogen gas? The answer was said to be 16 grams, but I can't understand why. My professor said that the amount of grams was proportional to the amu's or something.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Start with 1 gram of hydrogen gas. Unless you specify differently, hydrogen gas would be the compound, H2. To help with direction of your calculations, find how many atoms of H are 1 gram of H2.

Perhaps it is atoms and amu that throw you off.

You have two types of marbles - smaller, and 16 times heavier ones. You have a 1 kg of smaller marbles. How many kg of larger marbles will have the same number of marbles as 1 kg of smaller ones has?

--

Related to Chemical Amount: Hydrogen & Oxygen Ratio?

1. What is the chemical formula for water?

The chemical formula for water is H2O, where H represents hydrogen and O represents oxygen.

2. What is the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in water?

The ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in water is 2:1, meaning there are two hydrogen atoms for every one oxygen atom.

3. How does the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen affect the properties of water?

The ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in water is important because it gives water its unique properties, such as its ability to dissolve many substances and its high boiling point.

4. Can the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in water vary?

No, the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in water is always 2:1. This is because water molecules are made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom.

5. Is the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen the same in all forms of water?

Yes, the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen is the same in all forms of water, whether it is in the form of liquid, solid (ice), or gas (water vapor).