Chemical compositon of sugar [substitutes]

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between confectioners sugar and regular sugar, with the conclusion that confectioners sugar is not pure sugar due to the addition of cornstarch. The topic of sugar substitutes was also mentioned, with the suggestion that they are made from various compounds including aspartame, saccharin, and cyclamate.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
Does anyone know if confectionary sugar, is the same thing as regular sugar (ie. sucrose C12H11O11)?

What about the chemical compostion of sugar substitutes, like 'Equal' or 'Sweet and Low'?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mrjeffy321 said:
regular sugar (ie. sucrose C12H11O11)?

Just for the record,sucrose is one of the isomers of [tex] C_{12}H_{22}O_{11} [/tex].

Daniel.

O yes, that is what I meant, I made a typo in my original post.

Here is a definition of confectioners sugar I found,
Confectioners' sugar
also known as powdered or icing sugar, is a finely pulverized sugar that dissolves quickly and is often used to provide a thin, white decorative coating. To prevent it from absorbing moisture in the air and caking, manufacturers often add a little cornstarch.

so since it has corn starch mixed in with it, it isn't pure sugar like I had originally thought.

still don't know what sugar substitutes are made out of though.

It is about the consumer acceptance, if you will be able to store it in a dry place, just grinding sucrose into a fine powder will be okay. You'll get confectionery sugar then.

artificial sweetner

artificial sweetner like equal, etc could be made from several compounds:

the most popular one nowadays is : aspartam
the older compounds including : saccharin, cyclamate, etc.

Just search these name on the internet to find the chemical formula. hope it helps

Related to Chemical compositon of sugar [substitutes]

1. What is the chemical composition of sugar substitutes?

The chemical composition of sugar substitutes varies depending on the type of substitute. However, most sugar substitutes are made up of molecules that are much sweeter than sugar, and are either natural or artificial. Common types of sugar substitutes include sucralose, aspartame, stevia, and erythritol.

2. Are sugar substitutes safe for consumption?

The safety of sugar substitutes has been extensively studied and approved by regulatory agencies such as the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, as with any food or ingredient, it is important to consume sugar substitutes in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

3. How do sugar substitutes affect our bodies?

Sugar substitutes do not have the same effect on our bodies as sugar does. While sugar is broken down into glucose and used as a source of energy, sugar substitutes are not metabolized in the same way. This means that they do not raise blood sugar levels or contribute to tooth decay like sugar does.

4. Can sugar substitutes be used in cooking and baking?

Yes, many sugar substitutes can be used in cooking and baking. However, it is important to follow the recommended conversion rates as using too much or too little of a sugar substitute can affect the taste and texture of the final product.

5. Are sugar substitutes better for weight loss than sugar?

Sugar substitutes are often marketed as a healthier alternative to sugar for weight loss purposes. While they do have fewer calories, research has shown that consuming too many artificially sweetened beverages and foods can actually lead to weight gain. It is important to consume sugar substitutes in moderation as part of an overall balanced diet for weight management.