Chemical Kinetics: Rate Laws, Orders

In summary: This ratio can then be used to determine the order of the reaction. However, in some cases, different pairs of experiments may give different answers, such as a first or second order reaction. It is unclear why this happens, as all things should be equal. It is also unclear which answer should be chosen in these cases.
Whalstib

Homework Statement

I understand how to determine the order of a rxn based on a series of experiments one divides one into another to obtain a ratio and then determines the power to which one is raised to determine the order.

Typical data collected would be:
Ex1 [A] .2 mol = Initial rate 4.8 mol/L*s
Ex2 [A] .4 mol = Initial rate 9.6 mol/L*s
etc...

In this case one would divide Ex2/Ex1 and obtain 2 = 2^m ; m=1 a 1st order rxn.

In our book every example has ex2/ex1 or ex4/ex3 but then in the problems in the back it takes what ever pair of experiments give a round number. Often this is obvious, often not and one would have to run a series of ex/ex to obtain an order..

Homework Equations

A series I just started working on looked like ex2/ex1 would yield a nice even first order rxn but ended up being a .666 = .444^m; m=.5. The answer key chose a different pair of ex. and gives a m=2 2nd order rxn...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no attempt as my question is with a series of experiments giving different answers how does one know which answer to go with? Are only whole numbers desired? Why wouldn't any set of 2 experiments yield the same ratio or at least very close, with all things being equal?

Thanks,

Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I follow. Partially because it is not clear what you mean. What ex is - example? experiment? You can't divide example by example, you can divide reaction speeds.

Please show details of the question you mentioned where answer key selects different pair of "ex".

--
methods

FAQ: Chemical Kinetics: Rate Laws, Orders

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the study of the rate at which chemical reactions occur and the factors that influence this rate.

2. What is a rate law?

A rate law is an equation that describes the relationship between the rate of a chemical reaction and the concentrations of reactants or products.

3. What is the difference between zero-order, first-order, and second-order reactions?

In a zero-order reaction, the rate is independent of the concentration of the reactant. In a first-order reaction, the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant. In a second-order reaction, the rate is proportional to the square of the concentration of the reactant.

4. How do you determine the order of a reaction?

The order of a reaction can be determined experimentally by varying the initial concentrations of reactants and measuring the rate of the reaction. The order is equal to the exponent of the concentration in the rate law equation.

5. What factors can affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants and products, surface area, and the presence of catalysts.

Back