Chemist ISO Grad school advice: Applied physics? International vs. US?

In summary, the speaker is a chemist who was planning on pursuing a M.Sc. in Applied Physics at the University of Granada in Spain and then a chemistry-related PhD in the US. However, they discovered it would be difficult to obtain a student loan for this plan. Their only option, according to their advisor, is to pursue a PhD in order to obtain grant money. They have concerns about the usefulness and reputation of an Applied Physics degree compared to other fields such as Physical or Analytical Chemistry, Bioengineering, or Materials Science. They are also wondering how a PhD from UGR would compare to one from other schools in the US. Their research would involve chemical and topographical analysis of engineered surfaces and protein biophysics.
ndm618
Hello all. I am a currently working as a chemist (University of Delaware B.Sc. Chemistry 2010) in the US and have been sorting through my options for graduate school. My original plan was to work toward a M.Sc. in Applied Physics at the University of Granada (UGR) in Spain, and to follow that with a chemistry related PhD in the states. A wrench was thrown into my plans when I realized obtaining a student loan for such a venture was just short of impossible. Upon notifying my advisor at UGR, I was told my only option would be to pursue a PhD so I can obtain grant money to support myself. I am very excited at the prospect, but I do have some concerns. My concerns regard the usefulness of an Applied Physics degree (as opposed to, say, a PhD in Physical or Analytical Chemistry, Bioengineering, or Materials Science) and the reputation of the program compared to similar programs in the US. The program itself would lead toward a PhD in Colloid and Interface Science and Technology, which is technically an Applied Physics degree, whereas any PhD I would pursue in the US would be one of the four fields mentioned above (I'm awful at narrowing down my options). The schools I have been looking at in the US include UCBerkeley, Stanford, UWashington, UColorado, and UNC Chapel Hill as well a couple others. Basically I want to know how a PhD from UGR would compare to one from one of the other schools (I know it’s an odd comparison considering the degrees are different), and whether it would be a good idea at all to pursue an Applied Physics degree as a chemist.

As a note I guess I should mention the research would involve chemical and topographical analysis of engineered surfaces and protein biophysics in relation to development of biosensors.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

nobody?

Related to Chemist ISO Grad school advice: Applied physics? International vs. US?

1. What is the difference between studying applied physics and chemistry at the graduate level?

Applied physics and chemistry are two closely related disciplines, but they have distinct focuses and approaches. Applied physics is a branch of physics that uses the principles and theories of physics to solve real-world problems and develop new technologies. It often involves working with advanced materials and technologies, such as semiconductors, lasers, and nanotechnology. Chemistry, on the other hand, is a branch of science that studies the composition, properties, and reactions of substances. It is more focused on understanding the fundamental nature of matter and how it behaves. Therefore, while both fields involve research and experimentation, the methods and applications differ.

2. Is it better to pursue a graduate degree in applied physics in the US or internationally?

This largely depends on your individual goals and preferences. The US has some of the top universities in the world for applied physics, and many of them have strong ties to industry and research institutions. This can provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities for future career prospects. However, studying internationally can also offer unique research opportunities and a diverse perspective. It is important to research the specific programs and opportunities available in both locations to determine which best aligns with your academic and career goals.

3. What are the job prospects like for graduates with a graduate degree in applied physics?

The job prospects for graduates with a graduate degree in applied physics are generally positive. With a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking, graduates are well-equipped for a variety of careers in fields such as research and development, engineering, and data analysis. Additionally, there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in advanced technologies and materials, making applied physics a valuable degree in the job market.

4. How can I best prepare for graduate school in applied physics?

To prepare for graduate school in applied physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Taking advanced courses in these subjects during your undergraduate studies can help prepare you for the rigor of graduate-level coursework. It is also beneficial to gain research experience and participate in internships or co-op programs to develop practical skills and build your resume. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the research areas and faculty at your prospective graduate schools can help you make informed decisions about which program to pursue.

5. What advice do you have for students considering a graduate degree in applied physics?

My advice to students considering a graduate degree in applied physics is to thoroughly research and understand the program and its requirements before applying. It is also important to have a clear understanding of your career goals and how a graduate degree in applied physics can help you achieve them. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to current students or faculty in the program to learn more about their experiences and the opportunities available. Lastly, stay curious and open-minded, and be prepared to work hard and persevere through challenges. A graduate degree in applied physics can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience, but it requires dedication and commitment.