Chemistry - Enthelpy Questions (gr 12)

• MHB
  • Thread starter eleventhxhour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, at 25°C, 15.70g of carbon dioxide absorbs 1.20kJ, which results in a temperature decrease of 0.357°C.
eleventhxhour
So I just started learning about enthalpy changes and all the equations that go along with it (for grade 12 chem). I wasn't sure how to do a few questions, so I'd really appreciate the help. I'm mostly kinda confused on when to use the equations q = mcdeltaH and deltaH = ndeltaHx

1) If at 25°C, 15.70g of carbon dioxide absorbs 1.20kJ, determine the final temperature of the gas. Its molar heat capacity is 37.11J/(K mol)

if you have time, I'd appreciate help with this one as well:

2) A 50.0g piece of aluminium is heated to 100.0°C and then put into a beaker containing 150.0mL of water at 20.0°C. Assuming no loss of heat to the surroundings, determine the final temperature of the water.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eleventhxhour said:
So I just started learning about enthalpy changes and all the equations that go along with it (for grade 12 chem). I wasn't sure how to do a few questions, so I'd really appreciate the help. I'm mostly kinda confused on when to use the equations q = mcdeltaH and deltaH = ndeltaHx

1) If at 25°C, 15.70g of carbon dioxide absorbs 1.20kJ, determine the final temperature of the gas. Its molar heat capacity is 37.11J/(K mol)

if you have time, I'd appreciate help with this one as well:

2) A 50.0g piece of aluminium is heated to 100.0°C and then put into a beaker containing 150.0mL of water at 20.0°C. Assuming no loss of heat to the surroundings, determine the final temperature of the water.

Thanks!

I suspect you mean \(\displaystyle Q = mc \Delta T\). That said if you don't know what equation to use I focus on what the question gives me and how the units work together.

1. You can use a similar equation using moles: \(\displaystyle Q = nc \Delta T\)

\(\displaystyle n = \dfrac{15.7}{44} = 0.357 mol\)

Write \(\displaystyle \Delta T = T_f - T_i\) where \(\displaystyle T_f\) is the final temperature and \(\displaystyle T_i\) is initial (25)

\(\displaystyle 1200 = 0.357 \cdot 37.11 \cdot (T_f-25)\)

Solve for \(\displaystyle T_f\) which will be in degrees Celsius.

\(\displaystyle \Delta H = n \Delta H x\) -- this one doesn't make sense. Should there be a \(\displaystyle T\) or \(\displaystyle \Delta T\) in there?

SuperSonic4 said:
I suspect you mean \(\displaystyle Q = mc \Delta T\). That said if you don't know what equation to use I focus on what the question gives me and how the units work together.

1. You can use a similar equation using moles: \(\displaystyle Q = nc \Delta T\)

\(\displaystyle n = \dfrac{15.7}{44} = 0.357 mol\)

Write \(\displaystyle \Delta T = T_f - T_i\) where \(\displaystyle T_f\) is the final temperature and \(\displaystyle T_i\) is initial (25)

\(\displaystyle 1200 = 0.357 \cdot 37.11 \cdot (T_f-25)\)

Solve for \(\displaystyle T_f\) which will be in degrees Celsius.

\(\displaystyle \Delta H = n \Delta H x\) -- this one doesn't make sense. Should there be a \(\displaystyle T\) or \(\displaystyle \Delta T\) in there?

Thanks, I figured out #1! However I'm still having problems with question #2. And the equation I gave you (ΔH=nΔHx) is what my teacher taught us and is using in class (as well as what's in the textbook) The ΔH represents the change of heat. The n is the number of moles. And the ΔHx is the molar enthalpy. So how would you do #2?

eleventhxhour said:
Thanks, I figured out #1! However I'm still having problems with question #2. And the equation I gave you (ΔH=nΔHx) is what my teacher taught us and is using in class (as well as what's in the textbook) The ΔH represents the change of heat. The n is the number of moles. And the ΔHx is the molar enthalpy. So how would you do #2?

Ah, I must have missed that. For some reason I imagined the ΔH and x as separate.

If there is no loss of heat to the surroundings then the overall heat change must be zero (i.e. an adiabatic process)

\(\displaystyle m_w c_w (T_f - T_{iw}) + m_a c_a (T_f - T_{ia}) = 0\)

where
  • \(\displaystyle m_w\) and \(\displaystyle m_a\) are the masses of water and aluminium respectively
  • \(\displaystyle c_m\) and \(\displaystyle c_w\) are the specific heat capacities aluminium [899 J/(K·kg)] and water [4186 J/(K·kg)]
  • \(\displaystyle T_f\) is final temperature
  • \(\displaystyle T_{iw}\) and \(\displaystyle T_{ia}\) are the initial temperatures of the water and aluminium

The density of water does change with temperature but I shall use 1000kg/m^3 for convenience sake

\(\displaystyle m_w = \rho V_w = 1000 \cdot 150 \cdot 10^{-6} = 150 \cdot 10^{-3}\ kg \)

\(\displaystyle 150 \cdot 10^{-3} \cdot 4186 (T_f - 20.0) + 50.0 \cdot 10^{-3} \cdot 889 (T_f - 100) = 0]\)

Solve for \(\displaystyle T_f\). As a note I got those figures off google so if your book/data sheet has different values use them

SuperSonic4 said:
Ah, I must have missed that. For some reason I imagined the ΔH and x as separate.
If there is no loss of heat to the surroundings then the overall heat change must be zero (i.e. an adiabatic process)

\(\displaystyle m_w c_w (T_f - T_{iw}) + m_a c_a (T_f - T_{ia}) = 0\)

where
  • \(\displaystyle m_w\) and \(\displaystyle m_a\) are the masses of water and aluminium respectively
  • \(\displaystyle c_m\) and \(\displaystyle c_w\) are the specific heat capacities aluminium [899 J/(K·kg)] and water [4186 J/(K·kg)]
  • \(\displaystyle T_f\) is final temperature
  • \(\displaystyle T_{iw}\) and \(\displaystyle T_{ia}\) are the initial temperatures of the water and aluminium

The density of water does change with temperature but I shall use 1000kg/m^3 for convenience sake

\(\displaystyle m_w = \rho V_w = 1000 \cdot 150 \cdot 10^{-6} = 150 \cdot 10^{-3}\ kg \)

\(\displaystyle 150 \cdot 10^{-3} \cdot 4186 (T_f - 20.0) + 50.0 \cdot 10^{-3} \cdot 889 (T_f - 100) = 0]\)

Solve for \(\displaystyle T_f\). As a note I got those figures off google so if your book/data sheet has different values use them

Thanks! I tried that and got the right answer (:

Related to Chemistry - Enthelpy Questions (gr 12)

1. What is enthalpy in chemistry?

Enthalpy is a measure of the energy content of a chemical system. It is the sum of the internal energy of the system plus the product of pressure and volume. In simpler terms, it is the heat content of a system at constant pressure.

2. How is enthalpy related to chemical reactions?

Enthalpy is important in chemical reactions because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a reaction. When a chemical reaction takes place, there is usually a release or absorption of heat, which is reflected in the change in enthalpy of the system.

3. What is the difference between endothermic and exothermic reactions?

An endothermic reaction is one in which the system absorbs heat from the surroundings, resulting in a positive change in enthalpy. On the other hand, an exothermic reaction is one in which the system releases heat into the surroundings, resulting in a negative change in enthalpy.

4. How do you calculate the change in enthalpy for a reaction?

The change in enthalpy for a reaction can be calculated using the equation ΔH = H(products) - H(reactants), where ΔH represents the change in enthalpy, H(products) represents the enthalpy of the products, and H(reactants) represents the enthalpy of the reactants.

5. What is the significance of enthalpy in thermodynamics?

Enthalpy is an important concept in thermodynamics as it helps us understand the flow of energy in a system. It is used to determine the heat transfer, work done, and changes in temperature and pressure that occur during a process. It is also a key factor in determining the spontaneity and direction of a chemical reaction.