Chemistry-equilibrium reaction question

• Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is about a lab experiment where 3mL of 0.10 M acetic acid was mixed and the principal equilibrium was observed. Sodium acetate and a drop of methyl orange indicator were then added, causing a color change from redish to yellow. The question is what other solution could have been added to shift the equilibrium in the same direction and cause the same color change. The suggested answer is a strong acid, such as HCl or HBr, which would increase the H3O+ ions and shift the equilibrium to the left.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

In lab, we mixed 3mL of 0.10 M acetic acid.

I was given that the principal equilibrium is:
HOAC + H20 <----> H30+ + OAc-

We then added 1.0 M sodium acetate and a drop of methyl orange indicator. The color changed from redish to yellow.

I figured out (correctly) that the principal equilibrium shifts to the left because of the increase in OAc- ions.

The question is: What other solution could you have added to the acetic acid solution instead of one with acetate ion to cause the principal equilibrium in the acetic acid solution to shift in the same direction? Would this cause the same color change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I THINK (though I'm honestly not very good with chemistry), that if I add a strong acid it will also shift to the left? For example, maybe HCl or HBr or something. I think this because the strong acid would increase the H3O+ ions, also shifting it to the left.

And I don't see why the color wouldn't change the same?

I have no way of checking if I'm correct which is why I'm asking. Any comments would be great! thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thinking seems correct to me :smile:

--

Related to Chemistry-equilibrium reaction question

1. What is an equilibrium reaction in chemistry?

An equilibrium reaction in chemistry is a reversible reaction in which the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates. This results in a constant concentration of reactants and products, known as equilibrium.

2. How is equilibrium reached in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is reached when the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This can be achieved by adjusting the temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products.

3. What is the difference between dynamic and static equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates, while static equilibrium refers to a state in which there is no change in the concentrations of reactants and products over time.

4. How can Le Chatelier's principle be used to predict the direction of an equilibrium reaction?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will shift in the direction that relieves that stress. This means that if a reactant or product is added or removed, the reaction will shift in the direction that produces more or less of that substance, respectively.

5. What factors can affect the equilibrium constant of a reaction?

The equilibrium constant of a reaction can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products. Catalysts can also affect the equilibrium constant by lowering the activation energy of the reaction, allowing it to reach equilibrium faster.