Chemistry - Henry's Law/Raoult's Law

In summary: Now you have one more piece of information - you know how much money you can buy for 1 dollar. So you can find how much money you had at the beginning: $2 = $3 / 3 and use this data to buy 1L of blood.In summary, using Henry's Law, the Henry's law constant for N2(g) dissolving into blood at the Earth's surface is 6.26E-4 mol/L-atm. If the PN2 increases from 0.78 to 2.3 atm, the solubility of N2 increases from 4.88E-4 to 1.43E3 mol/L. To
deviljay

Homework Statement

At surface of the earth, 0.000488 moles of N2 dissolved in each liter of blood. (Ptot=1 atm at surface, and PN2 = 0.78 atm). Calculate Henry's law constant for N2(g) dissolving into blood at the Earth surface and then calculate the number of moles of N2(g) that would dissolve if PN2 increased from 0.78 to 2.3 atm, corresponding to ~20 meters depth underwater.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of the question, I did the following
Henry's Law states
Solubility = KH * P
therefore
4.88E-4 = KH * 0.78
KH= 6.26E-4 mol/L-atm

However I am unable to calculate the second part of the question, what I have so far
S2.3/S0.78 = 2.3/0.78 = 2.94
S2.3 = 4.88E-4 * 2.94 = 1.43E3 mol/L
Now I know the solubility of N2 at 2.3 atm, how do I approach the problem from here?

Sincerely.

Physics news on Phys.org
deviljay said:
S2.3/S0.78 = 2.3/0.78 = 2.94
S2.3 = 4.88E-4 * 2.94 = 1.43E3 mol/L

I guess it is just a typo.

Don't round down intermediate values during multistep calculations. That is present them rounded, but for calculations use full precision that is available to you at the moment.

Now I know the solubility of N2 at 2.3 atm, how do I approach the problem from here?

Calculate change for 1L of blood.

I had $2 in my pocket, now I have $5. What was the change?

Related to Chemistry - Henry's Law/Raoult's Law

1. What is Henry's Law?

Henry's Law states that the amount of a gas that dissolves in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas above the liquid.

2. What is the equation for Henry's Law?

The equation for Henry's Law is C = kP, where C is the concentration of the gas in the liquid, k is a constant, and P is the partial pressure of the gas above the liquid.

3. How is Raoult's Law related to Henry's Law?

Raoult's Law is a special case of Henry's Law, where the solute is a volatile liquid and the solvent is a non-volatile liquid. In this case, the partial pressure of the solute above the liquid is equal to the vapor pressure of the pure solute multiplied by its mole fraction in the solution.

4. What is the difference between Henry's Law and Raoult's Law?

The main difference between Henry's Law and Raoult's Law is the type of substances they apply to. Henry's Law applies to all gases dissolved in a liquid, while Raoult's Law only applies to volatile liquids dissolved in a non-volatile liquid.

5. What are some real-world applications of Henry's Law and Raoult's Law?

Henry's Law is used in the carbonation process of soda, where the partial pressure of carbon dioxide gas above the liquid is directly related to the amount of CO2 that dissolves in the soda. Raoult's Law is used in the production of pharmaceuticals, where the concentration of a volatile drug in a non-volatile solvent can be controlled by adjusting the partial pressure of the drug above the solution.