Chemistry - how to do oinic equations

• Thread starter advanced
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses how to write ionic equations and the purpose of them in chemistry. It is explained that ionic equations show the dissociation of ions in a reaction and how to identify spectator ions. An example of an ionic equation is given and it is clarified that it may not be the exact explanation, but it provides a general understanding.
advanced
[SOLVED] Chemistry - how to do oinic equations

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm having problems with ionic equations. How do you turn a normal chemical equation into an ionic equation and what is the point of an ionic equation?

Homework Equations

Example - how do I turn these into ionic equations?:

CuO + 2HCl --> CuCl2 + H20

CaCO3 + HCl --> CaCl2 + CO2 + H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

erm . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that those are both ionic reactions, and all compounds shown in those reactions are ionic. The only exception is the products, water and carbon dioxide, which are compounds of covalent bonds.

What makes up an Ionic bond?

[tex]\mbox{Reactants} \rightarrow \mbox{Products}[/tex]

Cool - so how do I write an ionic equation?

Thanks

take th reaction between alkalis and acids as example.
NaOH + HCl -------> NaCl + H2O

the ions Na+ and Cl- will remain as such in the solution, since NaCl dissociates almost fully to give Na+ and Cl-. Such ions are called spectator ions.

but H+ and OH- will fomr H2O. the H2O molecule dissociates only partially, most of it remains as H2O molecules and not H+ and OH-.

therefore, H+ + OH- ------> H2O

this is the ionic equation of the above reaction.

i hope this helps you...

advanced said:
Cool - so how do I write an ionic equation?

Thanks
wow good effort

cool - I think I've got it now - thanks

i don't think what i wrote is the exact explanation for writing ionic equations, but I'm glad it helped.

Related to Chemistry - how to do oinic equations

1. What are ionic equations?

Ionic equations are chemical equations that show only the ions that are involved in a chemical reaction. They are used to represent reactions that occur in aqueous solutions, where ions are free to move and react with each other.

2. How do you balance ionic equations?

To balance an ionic equation, first write out the reactants and products, making sure to include the correct charges for each ion. Then, balance the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation by adding coefficients as needed. Finally, check to make sure the charges on both sides are balanced.

3. Can you have ionic equations for non-aqueous reactions?

Yes, you can have ionic equations for non-aqueous reactions. In these cases, the reactants and products are written as ions, even though they may not actually exist as ions in the reaction. This type of equation is used to show the net ionic reaction, which excludes spectator ions.

4. What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a reaction but do not actually participate in the reaction. They do not undergo any chemical changes and are the same on both sides of the equation. In ionic equations, spectator ions are often omitted to show only the ions that are involved in the reaction.

5. How do you know which ions are spectator ions?

To identify spectator ions, you must first write out the complete ionic equation. Then, compare the ions on both sides of the equation and eliminate any that are present on both sides and do not undergo a change. The remaining ions are the ones involved in the reaction and are necessary to write the net ionic equation.

Back