Chemistry HW Help: Calculating H2 Gas Yield from Zn and HCl at 825mm Hg & 42*C

In summary, under the specified conditions, 0.395 moles of zinc will react to form 0.748 moles of H2 gas.
regnar
124.7mL of a 6.0M solution of HCl is placed in a container with 25.8 grams of zinc metal. at 825mm Hg and 42*C, what volume of H2 gas can be produced from this reaction?

PV=nRT; R=0.0821 L*atm/mols*K

I don't if this is right but I decided to convert 25.8g of Zn into moles and then used the coefficients of the reaction and got 0.395mols Zn. Now, I don't know where to go from there if that is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the quantities of two reactants, so you will need to figure out which is the limiting reagent. Unless the amounts of HCl and Zn have been specifically calculated to be in stoichiometric proportions, you will end up with some excess of one of the reactants. You should then use the quantity of the limiting reagent for further calculations.

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to put the reaction:

2 HCl + Zn ==> ZnCl + H2

Double check your formula for zinc chloride, should be ZnCl2.

With the equation, can you work out the limiting reagent? Calculate the number of moles of both Zn and HCl and then compare their ratio to the ratios indicated by the equation i.e. 2:1. Which one will be in excess?

I found HCl to be in excess and Zinc to be the limiting reagent.

How did you come to that conclusion?

n(Zn) = 25.8 / 65.4 = 0.394 moles
n(HCl) = 0.1247*6 = 0.748 moles

According to the balanced equation, the number of moles of HCl required is double the number of moles of Zn. If all of the Zn did react, then it would require 2*0.394=0.789 moles of HCl, but there isn't that much present i.e. HCl is the limiting reagent.

Oh, I thought because that Zinc had the least amount of moles therefore making it the limiting reagent, but your reasoning makes perfect sense. Now that we have the limiting reagent, where do we go from there? I was told that have to use PV=nRT and work our way to liters of H2.

Yes it is very important that you use the balanced equation to work out the LR, it will not always simply be the species present in the lowest quantities.

You are correct in suggesting the use of PV=nRT. Given that we now know that 0.748 moles of HCl will react, you can use the chemical equation to find the number of moles of H2 produced and hence its volume under the specified conditions (using the ideal gas equation).

So, I find the moles of H2 and then plug that in for "n" in the equation and solve for V and that should be my answer?

regnar said:
So, I find the moles of H2 and then plug that in for "n" in the equation and solve for V and that should be my answer?

Yep, pretty much. Be careful with units though; have a look at the units for the ideal gas constant, R, and then decide what units the pressure and volume should be in.

Yes, thank you. I converted everything to proper units before I did anything. Thank you for your help.

Related to Chemistry HW Help: Calculating H2 Gas Yield from Zn and HCl at 825mm Hg & 42*C

1. How do I calculate the H2 gas yield from Zn and HCl at 825mm Hg and 42*C?

To calculate the H2 gas yield, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. You will also need to use the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between Zn and HCl to determine the number of moles of H2 produced. Once you have all the necessary values, plug them into the ideal gas law equation and solve for n, which represents the number of moles of H2 gas.

2. What is the ideal gas law equation and how is it used in this situation?

The ideal gas law equation is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. In this situation, the equation is used to calculate the number of moles of H2 gas produced from the reaction between Zn and HCl at specific conditions of pressure and temperature. By rearranging the equation to solve for n, we can determine the number of moles of H2 gas using the given values for pressure, volume, and temperature.

3. What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between Zn and HCl?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between Zn and HCl is Zn + 2HCl → ZnCl2 + H2. This means that for every 1 mole of Zn, 2 moles of HCl are needed to produce 1 mole of ZnCl2 and 1 mole of H2 gas. It is important to use the correct coefficients in the balanced equation when calculating the number of moles of H2 gas produced.

4. How does temperature and pressure affect the production of H2 gas in this reaction?

Temperature and pressure both play a role in the production of H2 gas in this reaction. An increase in temperature will lead to an increase in the speed of the reaction, resulting in a higher production of H2 gas. However, an increase in pressure will decrease the volume of the gas, causing the gas molecules to be more closely packed together, resulting in a lower production of H2 gas. This is why it is important to take into account the specific conditions of pressure and temperature when calculating the H2 gas yield.

5. What is the gas constant (R) and how do I use it in the ideal gas law equation?

The gas constant (R) is a constant value that relates the properties of a gas, including pressure, volume, and temperature. It is used in the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, to calculate the number of moles of a gas. The value of the gas constant depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. In this situation, the units for pressure and volume are mm Hg and mL, respectively, so the gas constant will need to be converted to match these units before plugging it into the equation.