Chemistry Lab Question: Calculating Water Usage in a Plant's Production Process

Calculate the total amount of water used by the plant per day: 753 kg/day H2O2. Calculate the total amount of water in the product stream: 254.3 kg/day AlSO4+12(H2O) = 254.3 kg/day H2O3. Subtract the amount of water in the product stream from the total amount of water used by the plant: 753 kg/day H2O - 254.3 kg/day H2O = 498.7 kg/day H2O4. Convert the remaining amount of water to liters per day: 498.7 kg/day H2O = 498.7 L/dayIn summary, the plant
Choronzon

Homework Statement

A plant takes in 20.24 kg/day Al, 24.04 kg/day S8, 48.00 kg/day 02, and 753 kg/day H2O. It's product stream is 254.3 kg/day AlSO4+12(H2O). The rest of it's water goes to "other things".

How much water goes to other things?

Homework Equations

20.24+24.04+48.00+753=845.28 kg - 254.3 = 590.98 kg = 591 L/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the masses of the raw materials, subtracted the mass of the product stream, and the remainder is the water used for "other things."

It seems easy enough to me, but the simplicity of the question is giving me pause, as it's the first question in this course which seemed this simple. My result was 591 L/d.

Basically I want to know if I did this correctly, or am I barking up the completely wrong tree. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone told me, but left it at that, as I'd like to try and figure it out on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is right - it is not a correct answer.

Only part of the 254.3 kg is water.

Then, I have never seen compound with formula AlSO4.

--
methods

Your approach is correct. You correctly calculated the amount of water used in the production process by subtracting the mass of the product stream from the total mass of the raw materials. The remainder, 590.98 kg, is the amount of water that goes to "other things." Converting this to liters, we get 591 L/d, which is the same result you obtained.

It is possible that the question may seem simple because it is an introductory question and the calculations involved are straightforward. However, it is important to always double check your work and make sure you understand the concepts behind the calculations. Great job on your solution!

Related to Chemistry Lab Question: Calculating Water Usage in a Plant's Production Process

1. How is water usage calculated in a plant's production process?

Water usage in a plant's production process is typically calculated by measuring the amount of water used in each step of the process and adding it together. This can be done manually or with the help of specialized software.

2. What factors affect the amount of water used in a plant's production process?

The amount of water used in a plant's production process can be affected by several factors, such as the type of plant, the production method used, the size of the plant, and the availability of water in the area.

3. How can water usage in a plant's production process be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce water usage in a plant's production process, including implementing water recycling and reuse systems, using more efficient equipment and processes, and properly managing and maintaining water sources.

4. Why is it important to monitor and reduce water usage in a plant's production process?

Monitoring and reducing water usage in a plant's production process is important for both environmental and economic reasons. Excessive water usage can contribute to water scarcity and pollution, and can also increase production costs for the plant.

5. How can data from water usage calculations be used to improve a plant's production process?

Data from water usage calculations can be used to identify areas where water usage can be reduced or optimized, leading to cost savings and improved efficiency in the plant's production process. This information can also help the plant make more environmentally sustainable decisions regarding water usage.