Chemistry major looking for a way out.

In summary: I would recommend a university in the European Union. The cost of tuition is much lower than in the United States, and the quality of education tends to be higher. The downside is that you will not be able to work as an engineer after completing your degree, but you will have a stronger foundation for a successful academic career.
Whatamidoing
Hi everyone,

I have almost finished my BS (chemistry), and I would like some advice on where to go from here. I have an interview at a med school coming up, but I'm not really sure if medicine is what I want to do right now.

My undergraduate is from a mediocre university, but I have good grades (4.0 so far) and some research experience. I am considering studying a masters of physics/engineering as working in chemistry does not appeal to me. Unfortunately I have focused on the biological side of things in undergraduate and thus neglected physics/maths which makes getting into a masters program all the more difficult. To give you an idea, I've only done the equivalents of Calc1-2, DiffEq + Linear algebra, Physics with calculus 1-3, Intro to relativity + QM. The divisions between subjects in my country (Australia) aren't as neat as they appear to be in America so some of my subjects were mushed into one.

Also, it is worth mentioning that I'm interested in studying either in the US or the EU - currently leaning towards EU because of the cost. France in particular has caught my fancy, but I'm concerned about the transferability of the qualification between countries, and the quality of the institutions. Australia has some highly ranked universities that are very easy to get into (UMelb, USyd - both ranked about 30th-40th globally) but I'm not sure it will be the same overseas - the grand ecoles are very very competitive apparently?

My question is: what do you think a good option (course, country) for a BS grad looking to study overseas in engineering/physics/other is in terms of employability and income? I've found a few courses "Master of science in x engineering" (2 years), however it's not clear if I would be able to work as an engineer after completing such a course.

Sorry my post is all over the place, my head is in a mess even thinking about all the possibilities! Thanks for any input, would love to hear others' experiences :).

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you need to get going asap. Get admissions data and documents and try to set up some appointments with the admissions people or even local alumni.
University admissions procedures here in the US start in the fall and acceptances are sent out in late winter/early spring, so you are out of cycle for the more competitive universities.
That need not be a killer if you are able to pay and have solid credentials, but it makes scholarships and support harder to get.
Having seen somewhat similar cases, I'd put in a kind word for a couple of years in practical work. You will get a better feel for what you can do outside of academia and you will have a more substantive record to strengthen your eventual application.

Have you done any practical work?- one way to "buy some time" would be to look for a field of study and work in a professors lab - assisting research, and finding a field that you really like. I can see doing an undergrad program not really knowing what you want to do - but IMO you should only go into grad school on a subject that you are keen on.
Another thing I have noticed - in Europe masters and PhDs seem to be more of a continuation of the undergrad programs preset programs - where in the USA they seem to be a little more research based - self guided.

Excuse the tangent,

Which University do you attend, if I may ask?
As I am also Australian, and have a friend who had pretty much the same crisis.

Hello there,

First of all, congratulations on almost completing your BS in chemistry! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve a 4.0 GPA, so that is definitely something to be proud of.

It sounds like you are at a crossroads in your academic and career path, and that can be a confusing and overwhelming time. It's great that you are considering different options and exploring different fields, as it shows that you are open to new opportunities and challenges. I can understand your desire to explore other areas of science and engineering.

Since you mentioned that you are not particularly interested in working in the field of chemistry, I would suggest looking into a master's program in a related field such as physics or engineering. These fields offer a lot of opportunities for growth and development, and they also have a strong demand for skilled professionals. Additionally, a master's degree in these fields would provide you with a broader range of job options and potentially higher salaries.

As for where to study, it really depends on your personal preferences and goals. The US and the EU both have excellent universities and programs in physics and engineering, so it's really a matter of what you are looking for in terms of cost, location, and program structure. It's important to do your research and reach out to current students or alumni of the programs you are interested in to get a better understanding of the quality and transferability of the qualifications.

Lastly, I would advise you to not worry too much about the competitiveness of certain programs or institutions. As long as you have a strong academic background and relevant experience, you have a good chance of being accepted into a master's program. And even if you don't get into your top choice, there are always other opportunities and paths to achieving your goals.

I hope this helps in some way and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Keep exploring and learning, and you will find the right path for you.

Related to Chemistry major looking for a way out.

1. What are the job opportunities for a chemistry major?

Chemistry majors have a variety of job opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, and materials science. They can also pursue careers in research and development, quality control, or teaching.

2. Is it possible to switch to a different major if I'm not enjoying chemistry?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different major if you are not enjoying chemistry. Many universities offer a variety of majors and allow students to change their major if they wish to do so.

3. What skills do chemistry majors develop?

Chemistry majors develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. They also gain hands-on experience in laboratory techniques and develop strong communication and teamwork skills.

4. Are there any alternative career paths for chemistry majors?

Yes, there are alternative career paths for chemistry majors. They can pursue careers in fields such as healthcare, law, or business. They can also use their chemistry background to work in science writing, patent law, or science policy.

5. How can I make the most out of my chemistry major if I don't want to pursue a career in chemistry?

You can make the most out of your chemistry major by exploring different areas of chemistry through internships or research opportunities. You can also take elective courses in other fields that interest you and develop transferable skills such as data analysis and critical thinking. Networking with professionals in different industries can also help you find alternative career paths.