Chemistry: Molecular Orbital Theory and Conjugation

In summary, the lack of symmetry and higher energy levels explain why two C-H bonds conjugated to each other are not stabilised.
r4mbini
I am working my way through Ian Fleming's 'Molecular Orbtials and Organic Chemical Reactions' and I am having trouble with one of the exercise questions. (Ch2 Q1)

It reads: Given that two pi bonds conjugated together have a lower energy than two separate pi bonds and a C-H bond conjugated with a pi bond also lowers the energy, explain why two C-H bonds conjugated to each other are not stabilised.

Is this a question of symmetry not allowing mixing?

This is my attempt at some sort of MO diagram I can't really see why one of the situations (left or right) would be favoured over the other but those are the lines I'm thinking along.

any help is appreciated, thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!Yes, symmetry plays a role in why two C-H bonds conjugated to each other are not stabilised. In the MO diagram shown, the two C-H bonds (represented by the red lines) would be considered as two separate pi bonds, rather than one larger conjugated system. This is because there is a symmetry issue that prevents the two separate pi bonds from mixing and forming one large conjugated system. Furthermore, the energy of two separate pi bonds is higher than that of a single conjugated pi bond, thus the energy of two C-H bonds conjugated to each other is not stabilised.

Related to Chemistry: Molecular Orbital Theory and Conjugation

1. What is Molecular Orbital Theory?

Molecular Orbital Theory is a model used to explain the bonding and properties of molecules based on the concept of atomic orbitals combining to form molecular orbitals. It helps to predict the electronic structure and reactivity of molecules.

2. What is the difference between bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals?

Bonding molecular orbitals have lower energy and contribute to the stability of a molecule by allowing constructive interference of atomic orbitals. Antibonding molecular orbitals have higher energy and contribute to the instability of a molecule by allowing destructive interference of atomic orbitals.

3. How does the concept of conjugation affect molecular orbitals?

Conjugation occurs when there is a continuous overlapping of p orbitals between adjacent atoms in a molecule. This leads to the delocalization of electrons, resulting in a more stable molecule with lower energy levels for its molecular orbitals.

4. Can molecular orbital theory be applied to all molecules?

Yes, molecular orbital theory can be applied to all molecules, although its accuracy may vary. It is most commonly used for molecules with delocalized electrons, such as conjugated systems, and is particularly useful in predicting the properties of organic compounds.

5. What are some real-life applications of molecular orbital theory?

Molecular orbital theory has various applications in fields such as organic chemistry, material science, and biochemistry. It is used to explain the properties and reactivity of organic compounds, the electronic properties of polymers, and the mechanisms of enzyme reactions, among others.